Where to buy a headliner?

Robby1870

I did some searching and only came up with how to take the old fabric off and put new on. I really don't want to do this because the STE headliner has a lot of odd shapes in it and there's no way I'd be able to get it 100% correct. So, outside of an automotive upholstery shop anyone know a good place to buy a new headliner?

What is wrong with your current one?

Sagging near the back and the front edge is starting to come loose. It's been on my to-do list for a while but it's gotten a lot worse in the past couple of months.

Using a heat gun or a blowdryer on a low heat setting, fabric stretches very nicely. I recommend 3M super duty spray glue. It comes in an aerosol can, can be bought at Home Depot, and probably Lowe's also. It's about $10/can, but well worth it. I've tried the fabric glue, it's nothing in comparison to the 3M stuff.

Headliner fabric is quite stretchy, you should be able to cover a GP headliner no sweat. But really the headliner is a pretty consistent curve, I'm not sure what there is to stretch over. Just be sure to use a lot of adhesive and let it set up for the proper intervals between coats, alternate directions of spray with each coat of adhesive, and do the headliner in two sections, making sure the fabric gets stuck tightly. It also helps to put a sealant on the headliner first so the adhesive has something to hold onto. The good adhesives are Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner & Carpet Adhesive/Loctite Maximum Strength Headliner Adhesive (Pretty sure it's the same stuff in different cans-Same company, different brands) and 3m Super Trim Adhesive. For all the cutouts like the dome light and overhead console, you just glue it down as though the rest of the headliner was there, and cut an X through it after everything is set, then trim and adhere it to the back side of the board. Same with the outer edges.

Too bad you're not in Chicago, I have a spare headliner in good shape I need to get rid of with all the handle and light cutouts. Just one little nick in it.

There should be a way to get new headliner material to stretch to fit over any major shapes, etc. Do you have a photo of your headliner?

I'll work on getting pics tomorrow.

My TGP's headliner was redone at an upholstery shop before I got it. I find it funny how some of the headliners in these cars are shitty and some seem to hold up great(my '93's for example looks mint with a 1/4 million miles on the car and I do a ton of driving with the windows down when it's cool outside).

Here's a quote from Luke from the TGP board on this subject btw.

"Or do it yourself.. It is NOT a hard job.. Jess and I did the headliner in her TGP, took about an hour to do.

Go to http://www.autoheadliner.com and purchase their standard $50 headliner kit. It comes with a huge roll of the headliner, and a can of some damn good glue.

Remove the headliner board from the car, being careful not to destroy it.

Remove the fabric

Remove the old headliner foam with a steel bristle brush (having a shop vac helps)

Put the new headliner on 1 half at a time, spraying glue on the board, and the foam backing of the new headliner fabric.

Wait about a few hours before you install it back in to the car.

It was amazingly easy, and neither of us have done one before. Right now we are in the process of recovering her visors with the same headliner fabric."