Considering buing a 89 TGP

xtremerevolution

This is some McLaren edition black 1989 Turbo Grand Prix. I saw it for sale driving down the highway. It's all original except the muffler was removed and its got a high-flow cat. It has 120,000 miles and is selling for $2000 negotiable. He'd probably go for it if I gave him somewhere around $1800. What do you guys think? He says the A/C stopped working a while ago but simply assumed that the A/C system needed to be recharged. Also, it occasionally slips out of 3rd gear, so it might need a transmission rebuild.

Does anyone know how fast these things are stock? He says it's one of like 1800 cars made of that specific type, and the interior looks pretty decent. I might post pictures later, but would this be worth getting as a project car? Is there much of an after market for the turbo 3.1?

I'd appreciate any opinions/feedback. Thanks.

Would be worth getting as a project. However the tranny issue would scare me

also make sure the ABS system is working properly

-stock crossover? if so plan on $400 to rebuild

-stock chip? plan on 250-450 for a custom one you WILL WANT

-How's the turbo? and shaft play?

-and then all the other w-body issues...

The trans will be expensive to rebuild. It's a special Turbo Grand Prix only trans

Takes a stock rebuild kit, nothing special but could aproach 2k if they R and R it.

Jud

i agree with everyone else, the tranny issue is key to how much he "should" get for it. We need pictures and any other info on it for a more specific offering price

The trans will be expensive to rebuild. It's a special Turbo Grand Prix only trans

Takes a stock rebuild kit, nothing special but could aproach 2k if they R and R it.

Jud

Ah, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info Jud.

Your welcome. A TGP that needs anything is NOT a good investment unless you like to throw money away. Your a young guy spend your money on school or a house.

There can be only 3 things wrong and you will have another 3k in it. What can you sell it for? About the same thing you paid for it.

Oh the 3 things are the tranny, PMI and crossover. Let alone a bunch of other expensive stuff that is starting to have to be replaced.

I paid 25k for mine, have an easy 10-12k in it and I bet I couldn't get 5k for it on a bright sunny day and It's one fast TGP.

Jud

Well the tranny would be the killer. The crossover, you can get T309 flex bellows (and I know people argue on how well those will hold up, but it will at least get him by for now) and cut out the old/weld in the new for a lot less than $450. PMIII, he could always ditch the ABS, and go standard brakes. Will cost some bucks to convert, but a hell of a lot better than $850 or so for a rebuilt PMIII from Prior. But I agree with Jud. If I had it to to over again, I would have never bought my cars until I was done with school, had a house of my own with a garage to take my time on the cars, etc. It's an issue of priorities. That's why I'm selling all my cars very shortly. :cry:

In other words, the price isn't too shabby, but don't do it unless you're ready for the commitment of tending to these temperamental cars.