Early GP question: What the heck was "Performance Sound"?

Scottster

So I noticed in a loaded early-model GP SE that it had a little switch on the driver's door speaker with a plastic lable around it. In really bad-ass Starwars script it claimed "Performance Sound"... Lmao!

What the F did that do? My best guess was that it added more bass, like the "Loud" button does on other radios, but does anyone know for sure?

It literally is a switch to turn the door speakers on or off.

LOL Really? that's hilarious! Makes sense though, as the door speakers were just bolt-in inserts for the higher trim levels.

My TGP has that! According to my manual it "sends an additional 22 watts of power to the door speakers." Probably pretty damn cool back in 89, pretty lame now.

My TGP has that! According to my manual it "sends an additional 22 watts of power to the door speakers." Probably pretty damn cool back in 89, pretty lame now.

LMAO! This gets better and better!

So I'm assuming because my car (1990) doesn't have the switch, it sends those 22 watts by default? (I hope at least...its not much, but hey what the hell!) I don't have the "square" radio with the seperate tape and equalizers...so maybe they integrated that "extra power" into the newer full width high end radio?

LMAO! This gets better and better!

So I'm assuming because my car (1990) doesn't have the switch, it sends those 22 watts by default? (I hope at least...its not much, but hey what the hell!) I don't have the "square" radio with the seperate tape and equalizers...so maybe they integrated that "extra power" into the newer full width high end radio?

mine has the separate radio and tape deck, can someone PLEASE help me?

i need a harness to make it work with a new deck, and a dash install kit

ive got 5 different plugs coming out my the stock equipment :(

mine has the separate radio and tape deck, can someone PLEASE help me?

i need a harness to make it work with a new deck, and a dash install kit

ive got 5 different plugs coming out my the stock equipment :(

All you need to do is get a bezel from a newer GP ('92 or so should do) and a wiring harness adaptor - you'll find that all the smaller plugs have a socket on the adaptor. Then buy a Metra or similar dash mounting kit and your radio, and off you go!