W body cat back systems??

stryker

I took the car to several local shops today and no one will touch it. See it doesn't have the converter on it. The

only one that would even quote me a price just wants to make it single exhaust and he wants $375 for that.The main reason I was looking is because the guy I got the car from messed up the exhaust. He backed over something and the pipe coming out of the passenger side muffler is kinked really bad and it makes the car sound sick.

the borla kit was $600 anyway and required some modifications to work. hmm, they shouldnt care if it already doesnt have a convertor, but theyre probably not allowed to remove one. i have the stock exhaust minus downpipe from my old 96 GTP thats cut up, but theres no way i would want to ship it. if the only bad part is the outlet from the muffler, why not just have the mufflers replaced?

It is the part of the pipe that goes INTO the passenger side muffler. The pipe is the one that runs from the back side of the converter all the way down the passenger side to the muffler. The guy at the shop told me they were not allowed to work on any exhaust without the converter unles they were putting one back on. They said they could be fined up to $10,000 by the EPA. I asked 3 shops total and they all said they would NOT do any work on ANY exhaust if there was no converter.

Why not just put oneback on? I mean you're kind of stuck..u need it fixed, but they won't work on it unless they put a cat on. Get a Hi flow cat and you'll be fine...as obviously there is no emissions around your area

thats lame. theres obviously emissions or it wouldnt matter. if you go somewhere you know them, it wont be a problem. i got the cat and everything off my old exhaust if you want any of it. you must live in like PA, though.

I had a quote to replace my exaust on an Lq1 setup... $850 from Speedy and it was only from behind the resonator... so Y pipe, driverside extension, passenger side extension, 2 mufflers, and all fasteners/clamps.

I'm still scratching my head over how much it was.

My local shop charged me $540 for 2.5inch back from the manifold(no cat) to an 18inch glasspack and then a 10inch glasspack to dual Magnaflow muffs with tips.

i got a quote from minute muffler for all new from the manifold back on my LQ1 and it was $936.17 thats all taxes with dual 3" pipe with magnaflow mufflers and all required pipes hangers and labor.

Here, you can copy my shopping list for an exhaust system:

1: find dual exhaust 1gen W body and take the pipes from behind the cat to the mufflers

2: buy 2inch magnaflow catalytic convert given you want the cat.

3: 4-5 feet of stainless strait pipe 2 inch (ebay $30)

4: 6 exhaust clamps one 2 1/8 inch and five 2 inch (subtract 2 if no cat)

5: two autozone dynomax mufflers or what ever (get two Lumina 3.1 mufflers as they are much cheaper and hang the left one upsidedown. These I have found to also be a bit louder than the stock 3.4 mufflers. They flow just fine IMO plus carry a life time warranty)

Total cost is about $140 with cat, $90 without it

Now I am modeling this off of a 93 euro 3.4 exhaust pipes as I wanted the resinator that came with it.

1: have one end of the strait pipe expanded to 2 inch inside diamater. (only one end)

2: if you want a cat, cut the strait pipe to length to get the cat to where the heat sheild is having the expanded pipe going to the down pipe. The unexpanded 2 inch pipe fits perfectly into the 2.25 OD stock pipe. This connection requires the 2 1/8 clamp. The stock pipe is stainless and I have found this has a much thicker pipe wall than the cheap alum steel ones, thus closing the gaps.

3: It is much easier to hang the pipes before mounting the mufflers, so hang the pipes

4: attach mufflers. After the Y pipe the pipes should then be 2 inches

5: enjoy

I will eventually take some pictures of mine once I get my digital camera to do so. I am happy with it even though the pipes are mostly 2 inches. However I don't think my 3.1 is having a tough time breathing. Surprisingly with two 3.1 stock muflers and the magnaflow cat, it has a nice rumble and you can even still hear the exhaust popping when you rev the motor.

It's a good way to get the dual exhaust, but definately not for performance.

Yeah I won't ever claim its a performance exhaust, but probably 0.5 hp better than the single exhaust :mrgreen: Plus I wanted to keep mine stainless as most exhaust shops around here will use the crap aluminized steel, and in Buffalo, you're lucky to get through the month of December without it rusting to nothing.

Actually... Single exhaust is better for performance.

Yeah ... No back pressure is not good. Besides ... the exaust runs into one manifold exit and true dual exaust splits left and right out pipes with left and right heads. =\

I cant imagine how much that would cost (and pain) to run a bank of 3 front and 3 rear all the way to the back. lol