Switched or constant power?

jenniferpa

I have finally managed to get an HU to Ipod cable that I believe will work (3rd times a charm I hope). However, the instructions, such as they are, indicate that it needs to be connected to the power and ground wires: so far so good. I'm wondering though, if it would be possible/worthwhile instead of connecting it to the 12v constant, to connect it to the switched wire instead: I read in a review of a similar cable a warning about unplugging the ipod when not driving otherwise it would drain the battery, and I was thinking, if it was connected to the switched wire it wouldn't. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks

Jennifer

correct, if it was connected to a switchedwire, like perhaps the radio wire (turns on and off with ignition of your car) then you could leave that puppy plugged in as long as you want, no power to the ipod, no battery drainage, I often will do this with my aplifiers for my subs, instead of them turning on with the deck, it just turns on with the switch.

Thanks both of you. No, I understand that if the ipod's not connected it won't draw power, but my concern is what happens if the ipod IS left plugged in. I'll give it a whirl anyway.