weird starting issue 94 olds cutty supreme

rockfangd

i have a confusing issue. I drove my car today like i do everyday lol, and when i parked te car this afternoon i didnt lock the doors or anything, so i get i the car and turn the key on, tried to start it, but it will not turn over, doesnt even attempt :question: This has only happened to me one other time in the 3 years that i have owned the car. that was about 8 months ago. So both times this happened i tried a list of things and nothing worked. then all of a sudden it started up. 1994 olds cutlass supreme s. 3100 v6. codealarm starter and security, (already ruled out because this happened before i had it installed.) here is a list of what i tried to do to start it both times

1. cycled ignition

2.checked aux nut under hood

3. checked starter wires

4.tried 2 keys with chips clean

5.tried car starter

6. tried headlights

7.checked battery and connections.

8. checked seurity light.

SO if anyone may have any ideas i would highly appreciate it. It has only happened at inconvenient times like always. The car is very well maintained and has never failed me besides these 2 incidents. Thanks to all in advance

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

did you wait 3 minutes after a failed start to try again? One of the two keys for my 94 gives it an incorrect signal occasionally(about once a month), and the passkey anti-theft system triggers and stops you from starting the car until you wait to try again in 3 minutes.

quite possibly. maybe a glitch. My key is about 1 yr old as i went to the dealer to have a copy made. Isnt the security light supposed to flash or something though when it is triggered?

My olds 98 did the same exact thing. I would get out, shut the car door and walk away for a few minutes. Come back and it starts no prob. This happened a LOT! It would tick me off. No lights, no nothing. The entire car was dead.

New key and worked great after that.

When you tried to start it, had it just been driven (i.e. still hot) or had it sat for a while?

EDIT: Also, when this happens (if it happens again) try starting it in neutral.

well it sat for about 3 hours and that brings up a really weird thing. I have never been able to start it in neutral, ever, and my best friend has the same car and you cant start his in neutral either. @ completely different shifters. :willynilly: :lol: what to do

well it sat for about 3 hours and that brings up a really weird thing. I have never been able to start it in neutral, ever, and my best friend has the same car and you cant start his in neutral either. @ completely different shifters. :willynilly: :lol: what to do

Well, it's not a bad starter or the park/neutral switch. Always good to rule things out.

any ideas on why 2 94 cuttys do not start in neutral, what needs to be fixed

MY 95 DOES NOT START IN NEUTRAL!!!!

I have opened the PNSS, the contacts are bad. all 94 and 95 cars use the same PNSS (excluding 94 Lumina I think) they seem to be under lubricated. I have not replaced mine, but I mean to. that may be oiur issue.

bad news, I priced a new switch at about $80 yuck!

where is the switch located. I can try a few from my yard if they are easy to get to

On the top of the transmission, driver's side. Locate the crossover pipe and look below and more toward the driver side of it. It'll have a wiring connector and the shifter cable will be attached to it as well. Kind of a pain in the ass to get to, but not too bad.

it is located under the shift linkage attachment. you must remove three nuts/bolts to pull it. one nut that locks down the shift linkage attachment(the selector rod goes through the middle of the switch) and the two nuts/bolt going through it.

you can open it up using a torx driver(t-10 or t-15 iirc) to inspect the internals.

it is located under the shift linkage attachment {on the transmission}. you must remove three nuts/bolts to pull it. one nut that locks down the shift linkage attachment(the selector rod goes through the middle of the switch) and the two nuts/bolt going through it.

you can open it up using a torx driver(t-10 or t-15 iirc) to inspect the internals.

it's under hood