Question on what to clean engine with...

Jon89le

Are there any degreasers out there that i can use on my 3.1 without damaging the Duplicolor paint on it? The motor and everything around it is dusty/dirty and theres grime in a few spots (nothing heavy) and i just want it clean again. Thanks.

Guest TurboSedan

Simple Green & Engine Foamy Bright all the way. soak the engine with this stuff then drive (or haul engine in truck) to the car wash and degrease it there. then blast it all off with high pressure wash w/o soap. cover TB, exhaust manifolds etc. iTurbo and i just got done doing all of that today with his '86 Omni GLH Turbo. we pulled the engine & tranny then i towed the GLH Turbo down to the car wash and we got the whole engine bay, rack and suspension REALLY clean.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

dunno, i just like using both i guess. Simple Green is probably better tho. Foamy Engine Bright sounds like it 'sizzles' the grease off of the engine too.

results:

my '89 206,000 mile GTS Turbo II engine:

http://www.captaineleven.com/josh/lebaron/GTS%20turbo%20II%20engine.jpg

my '91 210,000 mile 3.1 MPFI engine:

http://groups.msn.com/theCSproject/thecsproject.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=12

and my yet to be cleaned TGP engine:

http://www.captaineleven.com/josh/cutlass/P6020005.JPG

joshua

"and my yet to be cleaned TGP engine: "

What did that come out of? How much hp? Can it fall right into my 88" Cutty?

well it came out of a "TGP" = Turbo Grand Prix(made in 89-90..also in TSTE's = four door turbocharged GP), they are rated stock @ 205hp, and yes, you could swap one in your 88 Cutty if you can find one, that is, as TGP's are pretty rare and anytime one is at a yard, it usually gets bought up quick. :wink:

EDIT: for cleaning your engine, use Castrol Super Degreaser(just follow the directions for diluting it on the bottle and it won't harm your paint), if you use it w/o dilution, it will fade you're paint badly(I've got a volvo "red" block to prove my point) :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

there were probably only 8000 or so Turbo 3.1's made; i think the most popular figure is 3500 coupes in '89 & '90 both, and only 1000 Turbo STE (4-doors) made in '90 only. mine came from a '90 TSTE - click on my 'www' button to see the donor car if you want. good luck findinging one at a salvage yard - i about shit a brick when i seen the white 4 door Grand Prix with hood vents and Turbo STE badges. i tried my hardest to buy the enitire car but it fell thru due to title issues. you may have better luck finding a 'worn' TGP on ebay for under $1000. i wouldn't suggest 'pieceing together' a used TGP kit, you'll be wasting your money unless you can get everything all at once (been there done that).

it will drop right into your '88 Cutlass, but you'll need the TGP engine wiring harness & ECM (chip) to make it work right. your '88 is MAF whereas '89+ is MAT (speed density system). also, don't count on your 4T60 holding the torque that the turbo 3.1 puts out. the TGP got a special HD 4T60. i hate automatics so i'm using the Getrag 282 5-speed which also came from a '90 Grand Prix. i trust the strength of the Getrag 282 over any auto i could use, but i may be changing out some clutches.....

off the top of my head the TGP engine produced 205 HP/ 220 ft/lbs TQ, whereas the n/a 3.1 had 140 HP and 185 ft/llbs of TQ. this motor has potential - if you start adding bigger injectors, custom chip, T3 turbo, bigger FMIC, BOV, bigger exhuast, 5-speed --- you could probably get it into the mid-low 13's with good tuning. add lower compression pistons, T3/T4 hybrid turbo, alcohol injection and 3 bar MAP to run +15psi and you might see 12's or beyond. the fastest TGP i've heard of is high 13's which isn't surprising since there really is NO aftermarket for the TGP. you're on your own for custom stuff but if you know what you're doing it'll pay off in the end. if you're REALLY into custom fabrication, start with a 3400 SFI....

joshua