GP Electrical Help:Repining issue...With Pics!

Scottster

Ok, so I have been kicking around with this little issue for a little while now, but it's time to put my foot down and just trudge through with it...

I have this 'digital' gauge cluster from the 88/89 GP's in my 1990 Grand Prix. I replaced it about a month ago, and absolutley love it. All the gauges work great with no problems. It was just plug and play...that is with two lingering issues.

Exhibit a)The original analoge gauges (back), and the new/old digital one up front

grandprix013-1.jpg

Now the problem that I'm addressing the the fact that the Digital part doesn't light up brightly during the day (like the DIC does). In fact it doesn't light up at all. Only when the lights are on at night does it illuminate, and is adjustable with the rheostat like all the other interior lights and DIC.

The other issue is that the DIC is not reading a "range", and only tells me to "check fuel" when I push the range button, which tells me there is a wire related to the fuel gauge (wich works) that is not getting juice.

So obviously some wires need to be repinned. I guess I'm just in a little over my head at this point and thought I'd refer to some of you guys with experience with this stuff.

Here's a pic of the two 'female' recievers on the gauge clusters. Both have an equal amount of prongs, which I found strange.

grandprix012-1.jpg

And also, here's a pic of the wiring harness from the doner car, which I was comparing to the one in mine. The doner car's harness has a few more wires than the one in my car, which makes sense but also complicates where I'm going to find the wires on my car that I'm looking for.

Could I just splice into the DIC's wire that gives it "bright mode", and run that up to the digital gauge cluster? The old analoge gauges had no need to "go bright" during the day, so maybe there isn't anything provided in the stock wiring harness? True or False?

grandprix011-1.jpg

So what do you guys think? I have no problem doing the work myself, I just need a little direction. How do I determine which wires are the one's I need to reposition/repin?

Thanks for any assistance. I hope I explained myself clearly enough (that's why I included pics) but if I could clarify anything I'd be glad to discuss it...like I say I'm sort of like a deer in the headlights right now and don't know how to tackle this little issue!

Digitaloutsider (who has been banned by CaptianDangerAwesome) has already volunteered and he doesnt even know me...Geez!!!!

Here the last time CaptianDangerAwesome was captured on photograph

ambiguously_gay_duo_ace.gif

IIRC, stockgp was making harness's to convert the stuff over. May be easier than trying to repin everything.

Thanks, I'll try giving him a shout.

Sometimes clusters are just bad. If everything seems right on the wiring....then maybe try another cluster (a third?! I know). I went insane trying to figure out how my voltage gauge was dead after swapping to a diff style. Turns out there was a stripped screwhole in the back of the gauge. I replaced it and its fine. Good luck!

Stockgp is a good guy if you go that route.

LOL my digital cluster never lit up all the way during the day, kinda sucked when you tried to figure out if your going to get caught in the speed trap up ahead.

Sometimes my cluster would go black, I would just thwack it with my thumb, might work for you. :lol:

LOL my digital cluster never lit up all the way during the day, kinda sucked when you tried to figure out if your going to get caught in the speed trap up ahead.

Sometimes my cluster would go black, I would just thwack it with my thumb, might work for you. :lol:

LOL, Really? I never thought it could be the cluster itself! Thanks for the tips guys...I'll give the cluster a few "love taps"!