Needing some advice please..

Pontiac6KSTEAWD

Shit, all the cars that were at the top of my list sold Except for the 2 door GP..

I am seriously considering a diesel truck, if I can find one with low enuf miles that they dont want to charge a arm and a leg for..

Well, I went out and put a deposit down on the 95 Chevy Diesel truck today. I took it to a shop, and borrowed a rack. Put it up in the air. It has a new fuel filter, NO frame rust, NO body rust, slight seepage from the tranny and engine pan, front end was tight on the pitman arms, tie rods. The Wheels bearings needed to be tightened, but thats not really that big of a deal. I will go in and retighten them, and repack while I am there.

Not bad for a truck with 207,000 miles on it... It doesnt shake or shimmy down the road at 70 MPH, stops really well, I am surprised for the miles..

There are 2 problems with the truck thou. The A/C needs to be topped off, its blowing cool, but not cold, not a big deal. Its throwing a Code 33, which is a map sensor. For this truck it could mean its 1 of 3 problems. The Vacume Pump, the MAP sensor, or the EGR valve. I beleive its the vacume pump. Diesels dont have any vacume from the intake system like normal gasoline aspirated vehicles, so they rely on a pump. This truck, when I drive, with the AC on max recirc, the recirc doors wont kick in unless I have the RPMs over 1500 or so for a short distance. Which tells me it is having a vacume issue. The pump is only 118 bucks, the MAP is 44 bucks, and the EGR is 118. So if I put 300 in it, and it kills the SES light, I am good to go. I will check over the vacume lines befor I do anything thou.

For those of you who are wondering why I am buying a truck with gas prices as high as they are, theres 3 reasons. These diesels, if driven easy, can, and have, attain 30 MPG. The NON-Turbo models have fewer problems the the Turbo models. And lastly, with my new job, I get a 7%+ increase in pay because its a pickup, and a long bed. It has simple creature comforts that I am looking for as well. External tranny cooler and oil cooler, towing package, Vent Visors, sliding back window, all windoes tinted to 20% (except the windshield), power lumbar seats, working power windows and lock, working cruise control, and the guy who had it befor me installed a switch that allows you to run the motor, without the key being in the ignition. You cant start it without the key thou, or unlock the steering column thou.

So, if I drive it lightly, maintain it well, that 7% in extra pay will pay for the truck in 9-12 months. And even if I only get 20 MPG out of the truck, the % will pay for the diference over that. They do pay a fuel surcharge, So I think I am going to be ok. Will sell it next year about this time, and look for another one, but maybe a Duramax then..