Needing some advice please..

Pontiac6KSTEAWD

I am looking for a beater car. Something I can put alot of miles on, and not care about really. Just repair it when it breaks and call it a day. I have been looking at a couple diferent options, and here they are...

A 91 Grand Prix 5 speed, 171k, new clutch, new gaskets, no leaks, ac needs fixed, maroon in color. 700 bucks

A 95 Chevy C1500 6.5 NON-turbo diesel. 208k, needs a EGR and a MAP, clean otherwise, maroon in color. 3500 bucks.

A 93 Mecury Grand Marquis GS, 171k, small oil leak at the oil sending unit, track for window off. Light Blue, 1000 bucks.

A 90 Chevy Lumina APV, 123k, Needs AC charged, already converted, White in color. 1200 bucks

Whats your opinion here guys. Looking something to beat the hell out of. Driving about 100k a year. Is cheap to repair, good on gas, safe, and able to pull a small (1200 lbs loaded) trailer. The 5 speed is tempting just to have the 5 speed stuff for when/if I finally blow the tranny in the TGP. But the 05 Impala is one hell of a deal.

In case anyone is wondering what the diference between a 9C1 and a 9C3 police cruiser is, carpeted floors...

Tryed to do a vote, but it wouldnt let me. If one of the mods could put this into a voting thing with the car options listed above, I would apreciate it.

And the 05 imapala I had listed just sold, so nevermind that one...

The only ones that I would consider for towing that 1,200 lb trailer are the Chevy truck, and the Crown Vic. As for the Grand Prix, and 2 Impala's, I wouldn't reccomend towing that much with those cars.

RWD vehicles are better suited for towing heavier loads than FWD. FWD Vehicles CAN tow, but they have smaller limitations.

I tow a 600-700 lb pop-up tent camper with my 93 Chevy Lumina, and even though it tows it easily, and performs well, I refuse to take any risk with it. I keep the load as light as possible, and I never go faster than 100km/h (62 mph). My Dad has a 2,200 lb pop-up tent camper, and there's no way I'll let him tow it with my car, it only has a 900 lb trailer weight limit. It's not going to move until he puts a trailer hitch on his 91 GMC Safari.

As for cheap, reliable, quick-fix beaters, I'd reccomend the 80's or 90's era of GM's B-body line of cars, such as a Caprice, Impala, Electra, Roadmaster, Parisienne, or Delta 88. All of them are RWD, and can tow up to 5,000 lbs, and are equipped with Small Block V-8's, and 4-spd overdrive trannies. If you want fuel economy to go with that, stay in the late 80's, and look for one with an Olds 307, and a TH-200-R4. It won't be a power house by any means, but the economy is impressive for that kind of set up. I had an 89 Buick Electra wagon that had a 307 and a 200-R4 with a 3.23 posi, and it got damn near 20 mpg city, and 30 mpg highway. Not bad for a 4,000 lb grandma-mobile.

I would have to say B-Bodys are out. Would get stolen way to easy where I am parking the car at. Which is no where near my house. Otherwise I would get another A-body, and do it all with that, but those are even to easy to steal.

Do you need it other than a cheap, reliable means of transportation? If your not hauling stuff, I'd rull out the trucks mainly because of the mpg that they get.

I would say look at the 5speed gp or the lumina APV. You know how to work on the engines, you know the reliability. And, that gp says new gaskets. What do they mean by new gaskets? If total rebuild(or atleast LIM job) it should be well worth it.

as tempting as the GP 5 speed is, id personally get the 00' Crown vic P71. those things seem to go forever, and they look so damn cool.

A courier, staying local. I dont think I will need a truck per say, but that diesel would sure be nice to have for long trips in the winter when 4 wheel drive is needed, while towing my snowmobiles or something.

I would have to say B-Bodys are out. Would get stolen way to easy where I am parking the car at. Which is no where near my house. Otherwise I would get another A-body, and do it all with that, but those are even to easy to steal.

yea I know, I am quoting myself, but...

I would have to say there is one B-Body I am considering. I found a 83 Buick Park Ave 5.7 Diesel with the uipdated LD motor. Good gas milage, big safe car. It sure is tempting as well..

You have 4 cars already and your buying another one!! Of the cars youve listed i would go with the Vic. They are reliable, pretty fast and i bet it could tow your trailer no problem. My other suggestion would be to find a 90-94 cavalier in good condition. I had a 91 cav for my first car and it was the most reliable and cheapest to maintain car ive ever owned!

I am selling 3 of those cars already, including the TGP, the STE, and the Toronado...

Cavaliers around here, for the year I am looking for, arent available. Looking for 92-94, wagon or sedan, with a 5 speed. And i cant find them.. Would love to find a Subaru Legacy, but even those are far and few between.

that park ave wouldnt be too bad other than maint on it. most of the other cars you listed i would actually care about. :lol: except the van.

IMO though, if you are gonna tow something over 1000lbs, you should get a truck. how about a 92-93 dakota 2wd v6 or a 94-95 s10 2wd v6 ? both get decent mileage, they run like champs, and are easy to work on.

Don't buy that 6.5TD..those are the biggest piece of shit engines ever made, period. There is always "something" that is never right with them. And at 200,000kilometers I'm sure it's about to rattle itself into pieces...believe me, I've seen the low half of the block from our 229,000km 6.5 and the crank was snapped in half and the oil pan was full of piston material and a rod lol.

I went out and test drove the Diesel truck, and the dust buster (90 Lumina APV). The Diesel ran better than I expected. AC blew cold, brakes were great, no real problems. It is throwing a CES light for a code 33, or a MAP sensor. Other than, clean exhaust, no rattles, really clean truck, in and out. Even the bed looked great. No rust at all..

The APV was a 3.1 TBI 3 speed. Ran good, decent air. No CES ligths, has a slight tick, which kinda scared me. it wasnt this higher pitch tick you would hear from a lifter or a tappet, but much lower sounding. I couldnt trace it down to where the sound was coming out of the motor. It did drive fine, kinda gutless wonder thou. Needed a passenger door handle fixed, and the rear locking mechanism lubed.

I would go with the truck personally. And now that you said it really has no problems I'd definitely get it. Only drawback is how much more it costs compared to all the other vehicles you are looking at.

Oh wow, I didnt even list that truck..

The Diesel trruck I drove today was a 95 C1500 2 wheel drive long bed. I will correct the original post to include it...

I much rather hold out for the 4x4 thou...

A 00 Ford Crown Vic P71 Police Cruiser, 90k, needs nothing, black in color, 2300 bucks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there's your winner

It sold already, checked on it today..

Got offered another car today. A 93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with 134k. Needs nothing but a brake line fixed, and the AC charged. They were asking 2000, and its sitting on 20's with new tires.. This one is 3rd on my list

List in order of my considerations the top 3

95 K2500 Chevy Turbo Diesel Ext Cab truck

91 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 door 5 speed (mainly for parts for when my PMIII, or my tranny blows on the TGP)

93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI

Yeah, I like mine a lot.

One thing to remember, the larger vehicles in the brands lineup will generally have greater reliability.

What type of 20's? If you get that Bonne, I might be interested in the wheels, if you wanna sell.

Get tha Bonnie!! I would love a SSEi but there are none around here. The 3.8s are one of the best engine GM made. My friends mom has a Bonnie, its a real nice car big and comfortable but it can still haul ass.