106K FREAK OF NATURE-ORIGINAL BELT/ALTERNATOR 92Z

NOHC_WBody

I saw something today i thought I'd never see in my lifetime.... A 92 Z34 that had 106K on it.....ON THE ORIGINAL ALTERNATOR & TIMING BELT!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I flagged the woman down, and complimented her on her Z, and right as I leaned my head in the passenger side window to tell her the first words out of my mouth were "Oh my GAWWWDDD!!! and it's a 5 speed too!!!!!!"

She told me that the belt/alternator had never been changed on it. I was in sheer awe. I also invited her to come see us at w-body.com, and tell us all about it, so she herself could share her incredible story with us.

changing your cars first alternator is like when your drinking, and your holding in the piss so that you dont "break the cycle". once you take that first piss, you may as well leave ur pants down for the rest of the night, cuz its jsut gunna keep hittin ur bladder like every 20 mins. ice noticed cars first alternators usually go pretty long comparing it to an average alternator life, but then once u change it they jsut keep dyin and dyin and dyin. but thats just my personal experience

anyone with a w-body better buy the "lifetime warrantied" alternator when it comes time for a new one....my 93 has ate up at least 6 or so alts in its lifetime(230K), I just changed the alt on my parents 94 Regal Custom about two weeks ago, first alt @ 95K

changing your cars first alternator is like when your drinking, and your holding in the piss so that you dont "break the cycle". once you take that first piss, you may as well leave ur pants down for the rest of the night, cuz its jsut gunna keep hittin ur bladder like every 20 mins. ice noticed cars first alternators usually go pretty long comparing it to an average alternator life, but then once u change it they jsut keep dyin and dyin and dyin. but thats just my personal experience

very well put with the "break the cycle" analogy! :lol:

i believe my alternator to be original, at 174k, im not sure but i think the air filter was original when i got it too!!! the airbox was siliconed shut, i had to take the whole airbox and cut through the silicone with an Xacto knife, and there was about 1/8 inch of mud on the air filter, i am not even kidding!!! it was a miture of mainly dirt, a couple leaves, a few feathers?! and some bugs, the air box was broken off at all 4 spots where the screws are that hold it on, thats 1 of the reasons why i made a cold air intake for my car, easier than getting a whole airbox from a junkyard, if anyone needs a brand new fram air filter for their car i have you can have for 2 bucks, i bought a brand new one before i even got my license and then a couple weeks before i got my license i bought the K&N and put it in, the air filter is brand new, sorry i dont have the box, 2 bucks if anyone wants it, you pay for shipping too, but yah i think almost everything on my car is original, except the battery, i know that is about a year old, as for the engine and shit like that, i have no idea about the timing belt, im pretty sure it has been changed before because it looks pretty new

i have no idea about the timing belt, im pretty sure it has been changed before because it looks pretty new

dude, you dont have a timing belt on an 89 cutlass.

Yeah you are right.. some folks might have mistakenly called the serpentine belt as the timing belt.

The timing belt can't be seen just by opening the hood. The timing belt is covered with a metal/aluminum cover. Most older cars are using timing chain and most newer cars are now using timing belt (more money for the dealer to replace the timing belt) :).

I know timing belt is more efficient but I'd rather have the timing chain since it is not prone to stretching, snapping.

A timing chain for the 3.4 DOHC would rock! The problem I see is that the path is so bloody extensive that a chain-driven timing system would make an already semi-noisy engine, semi-noisier.

Why would a timing belt be more efficient than a timing chain? I know my 3800 TPI has a timing chain.

Yeah you are right.. some folks might have mistakenly called the serpentine belt as the timing belt.

The timing belt can't be seen just by opening the hood. The timing belt is covered with a metal/aluminum cover. Most older cars are using timing chain and most newer cars are now using timing belt (more money for the dealer to replace the timing belt) :).

I know timing belt is more efficient but I'd rather have the timing chain since it is not prone to stretching, snapping.

Timing belts run more quietly than timing chains, timing belts are lighter than chains and timing belts are more efficient than chains. The engine crankshaft, pistons and valves all need to operate in a precise sequence, timed for proper engine operation.

now im not mechanically inclined here, but a few common sense questions came to my head when reading that.

1)quietly, ok. you win, it is definatley a quieter application, but by how much? that much that it would make a difference in the sale of the car from day one?i think if anything it would just have a differnt tone

2)weight. ok a belt wieghs less than a chain, but can those few ounces....maybe a Lb...make that much of a differnce in performance, or precision?

3)precision, how is a sturdy, metal chain which has little to no flex more precise than a belt which can stress over time and/or with excessive force?

im not putting down your response at all........your probably right, but just at least enlighten me as to why my thoughts are wrong more specifically if you can.

belts may be more consumer friendly, but they will give you better results in the long run, tell me this, do dragsters runn timing belts? or chains? and what are the fastest cars to do the quarter mile? ask yourself that question, if belts were so much better then they would use them on dragsters, this is simple, if you want performance, go with a timing chain, if you go for appearance (good looking, good sounding car) then go with the belt

Personally, I prefer the sound of "noisy" timing gears myself, but I've tricked myself into thinking what's cool in my mind, dosen't translate out to "driveable" for the rest of the people around me :D