Quick Climate Control question

Darkness

I have a 91 Cutlass Supreme SL that has the auto-climate thingy. Problem is, the a/c only works part of the time. Freezing cold when it does, but this only seems to work after the car has been sitting a while, and then it's not a sure thing. A lot of the time it blows hot air, and when it is 90+ degrees outside, the control is set to 60, and hot air is blasting out of the ducts, that, um, blows. What's worse, if I turn the unit off, I still get hot air blowing on my feet.

So, is the quick fix to replace the control unit, maybe with a manual one, or is there something else going on? Something icing up that thaws after it sits a while?

I dunno, but this thing is cooking me on my 1-hour each way daily commutes. So, any ideas are appreciated.

The automatic climate controls are very troublesome. It's probably an internal failure causing it to adjust the heat-door to full hot. '93-94 automatic climate controls were redesigned internally and SEEM to be more reliable. It will also directly replace the one in your car (except the holes for the mounting screws are a little different, but will work)

The hot air blowing on your feet with the unit off is normal, it's to make sure fresh air still enters the cabin, (of course the motor shouldn't be running, just air entering from the outside).

The motor is definitely running. If I switch it from upper to lower a few times then turn it off, it's just hot but no longer blowing.

Will a non-automatic control from a 90 CS work in mine? I certainly wouldn't mind having full manual control over heat/cold.

My Olds 88, had the exact same problem with its auto climate control (same ones in the cutlass) it turned out to be my heatsink failing. You may want to have that checked out.

• 5 years later...
I am getting a replacement control unit from Jeremy, and if that doesn't fix things, I'll have that checked out. Thanks.

Darkness, I know that this is an old thread, but what was the result of your swap? Here it is 2012 and I'm having the same problem with my '92 vert w/ACC.