Manual and Auto Fans

gpchris

If I wire my fans up to a switch will they still come on at the auto times? I want them to come on automatically but I want the choice to turn them on..

I think you could wire a piggy back to the wires, and turn it on by a switch then. Best way would be to wire a switch to the cooling fan relay, That way you arent really interfering with the existing wiring. I just wonder if the computer is going to throw some code about the temp sensor or something..

you could custom make a circuit to do that.

you could tap into the turn on wire(s) fed by the pcm, so that you are operating the relay the same way as the PCM, but the issue I ponder, it whether or not it may harm the ecm to electrify the wire. if that is the case, they you should ad an inline diode.(I think)

I dont wanna be an asshole here, but why do you want to do this? The computer already controls when they come on, and the coolant will not get hot enough to damage anything.

Well I just want the control. And just so I’m clear I can put a wire around that pin on the relay and run it to a switch it will still come on at automatic times but i will be able to turn them on when i want? I looked it up on the w-body page and it looked extremely simple.

Well I just want the control. And just so I’m clear I can put a wire around that pin on the relay and run it to a switch it will still come on at automatic times but i will be able to turn them on when i want? I looked it up on the w-body page and it looked extremely simple.

thats the exact same way i did mine! it will work like normal and you can turn them on whenever.

you could custom make a circuit to do that.

you could tap into the turn on wire(s) fed by the pcm, so that you are operating the relay the same way as the PCM, but the issue I ponder, it whether or not it may harm the ecm to electrify the wire. if that is the case, they you should ad an inline diode.(I think)

The relay wires are always hot (w/ ign on). All you need to do is ground the other sides.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/manualfancontrol.html

It is extremely simple, just make sure the wire doesn't short against the wrong contacts.

I'm doing this properly as I have all my STE wiring apart. I added additional wires to the underside of the relays (soldered) and ran them through the firewall C200 connector as new pins. It looks factory. Just need to decide on the switch location in the car.

hope you didn't screw the ECM.

you're only grounding the wire, right? it's not supposed to be hot.

did you try using 85 instead?

ok well fan relay 2 was on a 15 amp fuse. It was also an EGR and O2 fuse. That explains my service engine soon light. I replaced both fuses but I still don't understand how it was blowing the them.. by the picture below it looks like when you ground 86 the fans should come on... I'm new to electrical work but i just don't get it. I think that maybe the wire is touching other pins... What do you think?

DSCN0328.jpg

Well I tried 86 again and pop goes my fuse... I replaced it and wired it up to 85 and the fan came on.. So i guess its 85 for me. I guess i don't understand that wiring diagram unless its not for my car... :willynilly:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished a week ago and they've been working fine. Whenever the car heats up the fans automatically keep it cool whenever the heat rises when parked or at a long light I just flip them on and it cools down. I highly recommend doing this to any daily driver. It’s extremely useful!