how hard is it to do an obd 1 or 2 swap?

Psych0matt

I'd probably go with obd II just because it makes more sense, but basically when ken was messing with his laptop and i saw the capabilities of tuning and stuff, it got me to thinking about doing the swap. I hate electrical work, but i know this is pretty much just lots of plugging and unplugging. basically, on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it, and about how long would it take? my block is a 96, so I already probably have some sensors that i could use. I just know it would be nice if/when i ever have the money to go turbo

It will probably take you, if you work non-stop on it, probably 40-50 hours of work.

Level of difficuty- I can say, from experience, that swapping out an engine harness is not fun, at all. I would rate it at about a 7 of 10 though. It isn't difficult, except for a few plugs and sensors that will need to be swapped over, and getting access to some of the plugs. The harness has to be re-routed(thats not fun), and remembering where everything go's is fun also.

I have a question about the swap as well. When adding new sensors to the engine, is there already spots for the sensors to go? Or you you have to track down the appropriate parts? I'd give an example but I'm not sure what sensors have to be added... Maybe if theres an additional sensor in the upper intake plenum, do you have to find a 96+ plenum? (I'm thinking LQ1 here)

Jamie

i think if the point of the swap is to use tuning and such, you can probably disable the sensors that you dont have. anyone else know about this? i know that my block has the sensors, but im not sure about the cames and upper intake, etc

For you Matt, I'd go OBD2 because you already have the 96 block. And I believe your 94 cam carrier uses the same sensor as the OBD2 engines. You'll need to swap your coolant temp sensor to the OBD2 one though IIRC. OBD2 uses 1 ECT sensor, not 2 like OBD1.

And for everyone else with a 91-95 block, you'll need to swap over to the 96/97 timing cover for the 24x crank sensor. As a side effect of the timing cover swap, you'll need to use the CS-130D alternator. Josh (oldskoolgp) and I found this out when I was helping him swap the 96 cover on his 92 block..

And 91-93 engines you need to swap over a 94+ cam carrier for the cam sensor, and add a maf sensor specific items. I'm sure there's more, but I wasn't in the picture too much with Josh's swap. So I'm missing some things...

i might think about it sometime in the future, as i could probably get an obd 2 harness for pretty cheap i think. im stopping by the yard tomorrow to likely get a few other things, so I'll ask.

OldskoolGP did and he said its the hardest thing he's ever done.

I think you need to make a hybrid harness, and you might need to mess with your dash harness. It's definitely not plug and play.

I think you need to make a hybrid harness, and you might need to mess with your dash harness. It's definitely not plug and play.

x2 i had to cut out a harness at a salvage yard and it took me like 1.5 hrs easy

redz just finished most of the swap on his 95 monte. it took him a couple weeks working on it here and there for a few hours at a time in his garage. only had to add one wire to the inside C100, one to the outside, and swap over one wire on the outside. my dads shop is putting in the knock sensor(s) and the dlc needs hooked up yet. also needs to add a 96 MAP. hopefully, well be tuning it next week. it already ran w/o the knock sensors and w/ the obd1.5 dlc. he has a couple posts on 60* about it.

i am going to be attempting the swap myself as soon as i can. its either do that and use the powrtuner i already have setup for a 96 3.4 or pay hundreds for a custom chip. my biggest prob is probably having to swap out my cams to ones w/ reluctor rings, since i put 92 cams in mine. i have a 96 block, too, with most of the sensors.

theres no way its harder than doing a 5-speed swap

so you're saying i should do a 5 speed swap and and obd II swap. I like! well, its probably not going to happen for a while, since the car is probably going to be driven for quite a while, unless i end up keeping the jimmy over the winter

I believe OldSkoolGP's worst part of the swap was programming the PCM to like his 5 speed... He spent a lot of time on that.

I believe OldSkoolGP's worst part of the swap was programming the PCM to like his 5 speed... He spent a lot of time on that.

could be. im going to have that problem also. tuning can be fun, though.

he also had to swap the tranny connectors, but the wires were all the same.