Detailing a 99 GTP tomorrow (Pics up now in members rides)

Scottster

I just thought I'd throw this one out there, in case there's any tips or possible interest in the car...

Tomorrow I'll be detailing a Red 99 Grand Prix GTP four door, to prep it for sale. The car belongs to a friend of my Mom's, and I believe it has 100k miles on it.

I know that the owner never waxed it (intentionaly too...as in "I didn't want to damage the clear coat with wax" :willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly:) So I expect the paint to be a chore...but that just makes the customer all the more extatic when they see how shiny their car has become!

Anyway, I'll take pics of the process and post them later tomorrow

Are you going to be using a real buffer/polisher on it as well or just by hand ?

The difference is going to be huge and that shade of red hides flaws and cleans up nice :)

It's got everything but a CD player...black leather interior w/HUD, moonroof, heated drivers seat, Bose radio (although the speakers on the drivers door don't seem to work :question:)and anything else the GTP came with.

There is a strainge "crackling/gurgling noise" that comes from under the hood at idle...maybe a bearing going bad on the supercharger?

Other then that the car is in great shape...but enough typing, I have to get back to work!

sounds like the supercharger coupler...very common

yeah, quite annoying too! lol, I test drove a Med. Gulf Blue 99 GTP with a bad coupler.

What's the cost of repairing that coupler? IMO it should be repaired before the car goes up for sale, simply becasue it sounds like $%*#, on an otherwise nice car.

Maybe I'll mention it to him...but I don't want to flip him out either...he is already having a cow just dishing out cash to have the friggin thing cleaned!

he is already having a cow just dishing out cash to have the friggin thing cleaned!

Well you should've told him to clean it regularly!!!!!!

Not sure how much the coupler will be, I told the dealer to fix it and call me...and they never called me so I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info on the coupler guys, I'll pass it on. Seems like a good way to spend $30 to me. With the noise it's making right now, it would sure scare alot of people away!

As for the car...It's currently raining cats and dogs, but not to worry as the car is tacked away in the garage. I'm waiting for it to clear so I can take some "after pics". The paint REALLY came around...looks like a million bucks now. No more spiderweb swirls, and the hue is about 4 shades darker. I'll tell all about it when I post the pics...that is after the sun comes out!

if i were to bring my car to a shop, about what should it cost to have it claybarred, waxed and buffed ?

im just too damn lazy to do it. :lol:

Depends on your location, and the steps involved in the service offered.

The place I used to manage would charge $169 for a full outside detail, which is a steal for downstate NY. On the ther hand, the same service usually goes for $225 and up in STL.

Yeah, It can start to push $300 around here for an all-out detail.

I keep my prices under $200 which gives me an "edge" against the professional shops...and I think arguably I do a better job than some 9-5 worker at those detail shops.