Speaker wire...What color is + what is -???

Bake82

So I took apart my dash, decided to amp my fronts, but now I think I will be putting too much power to them, and now I just wanna use my deck power again and well what color of wire is the + wire, and what color wire is the -? What do I hear if I mixed them up? distortion? Cuz I definetly hear that out of both speakers. But I just wanna know what I've done! Thanks

usually the front left speaker with have the same color wires for both positive and negatice, and the front right speaker will have a different color but both poisitve and negative are the same color

lets say the wires for the front left speaker are purple (i dont think that is what color they are, im just using as an example) so we will say both the wires (+ & -) are purple, the poitive (+) wire will be solid purple, while the negative (-) wire will have a black line running down the wire, and maybe does it say on the wire what speaker its coming from? and maybe whether is positive or negative? but ya, the negative will have a black line running down the entire lenght of the wire most likely

Alright, well I went out and checked the wires, and well there is nothing there as for markings. However the left front wire is black and red. The right front is dark/light green. This major distortion doesn't happen until I start to fade to the back. But it is DEFINETLY coming out of the front speakers, but only when all 4 speakers are on. What the hell did I do?

In most GM vehicles, the darker wire is positive. you can get distortion because of mixing up the wires because the speakers are working out of phase, but it shouldn't do anything to damage the speakers.

It's pretty rare to blow a speaker because of too much power, it's usually distortion or lack of power that does it, unless you use insane amounts of power. If you had them amped, distortion is probably your enemy. Avoid using "Dbass" or "loudness" type features since they create a lot of distortion.

In most GM vehicles, the darker wire is positive. you can get distortion because of mixing up the wires because the speakers are working out of phase, but it shouldn't do anything to damage the speakers.

It's pretty rare to blow a speaker because of too much power, it's usually distortion or lack of power that does it, unless you use insane amounts of power. If you had them amped, distortion is probably your enemy. Avoid using "Dbass" or "loudness" type features since they create a lot of distortion.

hmmm...........interesting, well I tried them both ways, and well they are 4inch infinity reference series. They take 35 rms, and I had an amp on them at 55 rms. I know that's probablyt not good, but I figured if I turned the gains all the way down with no super bass on it would be ok...maybe not anymore. Oh well warranty covers it! :D