Vin T 3.1 Turbo Kit

92turboLE

ok, so here is the deal...

as a lot of you may already know, im about a month away from finishing my trurbo motor for my 92 grand prix sedan.

as i was looking around on the board... i noticed everyone wants to do a turbo... If there is enough intrest in it... i am considering building a turbo kit for the N/A 3.1 and soon the 3100. i would seel it merely for the cost of parts, i wouldnt be out to make a profit on tis as i have a regular job and im too damn nice of a guy.... i just love doin shit like this and making frankenstien shit that works and looks great.

let me know the intrest level and i'll put some numbers together... it would be great if any of you local guys (denver and surrounding areas) would want to help in making these for everyone....

im thinkin a small junkyard turbo, rebuilt and ported of course, a chip, exhaust manifolds, intake tubing and filter. Also thinking about making a kit that includes all of the above and cams, valves, springs and rockers...

lemme know if this is something ou all would be interested in. i would like to keep the price right around $1000 or less, which, with a rebuilt turbo shouldnt be too hard... like i said, if i get a lot of intrest in this, then i will start putting some numbers together..

- Justin

Just a quick question. Would the turbo kit be less than the price of a used L36? Also, how would it's performance be when compared to the L36? The way I see it, the L36 is a good competitor. It's a bulletproof engine, it can run on regular octane fuel and it's low maintenance. Also, at 205HP it's also quite powerful. I'm not sure how your turbo would perform but if it's more powerful and at the same time less expensive than the L36 then I'm sure it's a great buy.

Guest TurboSedan

92TurboLE -

i have all of the TGP specific parts you would need to start a conversion kit to get the VIN 'T' 3.1 turbocharged & intercooled (except oil pan i think but i could maybe borrow you my VIN 'V' oil pan to copy it).

parts i have include:

comlplete radiator (damaged but fixed) with hat, both fans (needs IC fan motor), fan brackets & pigtails, TGP intercooler, upper & lower intercooler pipes, upper coolant pipe to turbo (the one that goes above valve cover), TGP waterneck, '3.1 Intercooled Turbo' plenum (not actually needed to turbo a VIN 'T' but i have one anyway), crossover pipe (cracked flexes), TGP downpipe & bracket, and exhaust manifolds. i also have a TGP auxillary tranny cooler with air box, lines, and ducting to the front of the car, and a stock TGP air box setup. i don't have an extra TGP T25 tho, but if you are making a Turbo 3.1 kit i would rebuild the crossovers with T3 flanges, SS braided flexes and maybe add a DSM 1g BOV to the mix and get a custom chip burnt. if you are planning on making 3.1 turbo kits then this deal may turn out to pay off well in the long run, ecspecially since there are alot of people here that want to turbo their 3.1 VIN 'T' engine....

$550 takes it all and i'll deliver it to Denver for ya if you want. i spent more $$ on these parts than that but i need money right now (car payment, rent, ugh). otherwise i'd love to keep the stuff and turbo another 3.1 for use in a Corsica w/5-speed.

btw, let me know if you want help with that Getrag 282 stuff...

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
Just a quick question. Would the turbo kit be less than the price of a used L36? Also, how would it's performance be when compared to the L36? The way I see it, the L36 is a good competitor. It's a bulletproof engine, it can run on regular octane fuel and it's low maintenance. Also, at 205HP it's also quite powerful. I'm not sure how your turbo would perform but if it's more powerful and at the same time less expensive than the L36 then I'm sure it's a great buy.

and i would guess that the 3.1 Turbo has more potential :wink: and it's easier to get it hooked up with a 5-speed....

joshua

I would be very interested, but not right now. Like a year or two down the line. What about a 2-bar MAP sensor?? Isnt that needed? Just curious. I think it is a very good idea, and if I was anywhere near you guys, I would love to help out. Keep us posted anyway though. I think less than $1000 is very attainable, and for $1000 a CUSTOM turbo is well worth it, IMO

Robby

well.... my plan is to make a close to bolt on kit that only runs about 10psi, but with some mirno things such as cams and rockers, should produce around 250-300 hp. i would have the chip burnt and tuned on my car to as perfect as i can get it, then test it on another project car that im working on (89 Baretta with 3.1 vin T that i will try my bolt on kit with...)

like i said, i would include all REQUIRED parts such as MAP sensor, which i would probably make a 3bar, and all intake tubing and everything else like crossover and downpipe.

like i said... still working out the detail on the numbers and exactly what has to be done and such...

i will definately keep you all posted for sure...

Josh, you said 550 for all??? I'll take it, in like 3 weeks when i get paid again... deal???

would we be able to lower the price a little and maybe drop some of the stuff that i dont need??? i'll have to head up your way sometime or we can meet up somewhere and see what we need to do...

hit me up 303-589-2304 and we can work something out.... as for anyone else, if you r planning on turboing and have questions about what im doing, hit me up to if ya want... i'll try and help you out if i can... this is still a learning experience for me as i have never seen anyone turbo a 3.1 n/a nor have i ever done a turbo on anything myself, but i have learned so much and i think by that i can make a good near bolt on kit...

nearly all of the engine components are the same.... the only difference is the 8.8:1 in the TGP vs. 8.9:1 in the vin T. simple fix with either some new pistons or a kinda extreme port job on the head...

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan
What about a 2-bar MAP sensor?? Isnt that needed? Just curious.

Robby

yes, but i'd just go get a brand new one from the GM dealership myself. i think you need to modify the plug just a little, but no biggie there...

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
well.... my plan is to make a close to bolt on kit that only runs about 10psi, but with some mirno things such as cams and rockers, should produce around 250-300 hp. i would have the chip burnt and tuned on my car to as perfect as i can get it, then test it on another project car that im working on (89 Baretta with 3.1 vin T that i will try my bolt on kit with...)

like i said, i would include all REQUIRED parts such as MAP sensor, which i would probably make a 3bar, and all intake tubing and everything else like crossover and downpipe.

like i said... still working out the detail on the numbers and exactly what has to be done and such...

i will definately keep you all posted for sure...

Josh, you said 550 for all??? I'll take it, in like 3 weeks when i get paid again... deal???

would we be able to lower the price a little and maybe drop some of the stuff that i dont need??? i'll have to head up your way sometime or we can meet up somewhere and see what we need to do...

hit me up 303-589-2304 and we can work something out.... as for anyone else, if you r planning on turboing and have questions about what im doing, hit me up to if ya want... i'll try and help you out if i can... this is still a learning experience for me as i have never seen anyone turbo a 3.1 n/a nor have i ever done a turbo on anything myself, but i have learned so much and i think by that i can make a good near bolt on kit...

nearly all of the engine components are the same.... the only difference is the 8.8:1 in the TGP vs. 8.9:1 in the vin T. simple fix with either some new pistons or a kinda extreme port job on the head...

- Justin

sure it's a deal - let me know what & when you want it . i'll call you sometime soon to figure out which parts you want, price, etc. i have never turbocharged a n/a car either, but i have some limited experience with turbo dodges mostly from my brother and the GTS i just bought last February. and also all of the great info on this forum. watch out for chip tuning and testing with an L-body. they are lighter and may have different gearing or whatever else that could throw things off. i really don't know tho..... i'm hoping Mick can help me with a 5-speed TGP chip or maybe copy Lukes TGP/5-speed chip or manualturbos chip. TGPilot doesn't make them anymore :( :( :( i missed my chance.....

btw, why would you need a 3 bar MAP if you're going for a close to stock bolt on kit if you are only going to run 10psi?

joshua

i got a couple question i got a 2.8 i plan in rebuildin the hole motor to a 3.1 would that be the same as a vin t, n im gettin eerthin that i can ported n polished n some shit bored n what not would that make a differnce n wut bout somethin more then 10psi i want the max boost my car can handle

I have a '90 3.1L Grand Prix that I would love to turbo. If you do really come up with a way to make a bolt on I would absolutely be interested in getting one! I am working on some fiber body kit designs for the w-body maybe we could work something out. Hell, I'd even come to Denver for it.

Guest TurboSedan

- Justin

i have no phone at the moment but i'll call you when i get the chance. i'm holding the parts for you btw. i'll be in Denver (DIA) on the 8th and can bring ALL of the stuff if you want to check it all out.

joshua

i got a couple question i got a 2.8 i plan in rebuildin the hole motor to a 3.1 would that be the same as a vin t, n im gettin eerthin that i can ported n polished n some shit bored n what not would that make a differnce n wut bout somethin more then 10psi i want the max boost my car can handle

i dont know if anyone can decipher that

that word might be too big for him, maybe 'understand', or just 'read' would be up to par

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! I think he's talking about porting polishing his headers again

Robby

I really want to do an L67 but after I put in 5-Spd. But I'm not sure what sort of problems will be had trying to run manual on L67 comp. If I'll run into to many problems maybe I'll just turbo the 3.1L cause around 300hp sounds pretty good to me.

Guest TurboSedan
let me know the intrest level and i'll put some numbers together... it would be great if any of you local guys (denver and surrounding areas) would want to help in making these for everyone....

- Justin

Justin, i'm gonna be picking up my brother @ DIA around midnight and can bring all of my spare TGP parts down if you want to check them out. i know midnight is a little late, but maybe we can work out a deal or something, i dunno. sounds like alot of people are interested in 3.1 turbo kits. PM me!

joshua