Turbo 3100

grandprix104

Isn't there a supercharger kit available from RSM for the 3100 and 3400? I've negative things about RSM, but I think they do actually offer some sort of package. That is, if you want to deal with them.

how hard would it be to add a turbo to a 3100? Will it be a bolt-up job? What parts are involved?

Thanx

Isn't there a supercharger kit available from RSM for the 3100 and 3400? I've negative things about RSM, but I think they do actually offer some sort of package. That is, if you want to deal with them.

quote]

You could do the l67 swap and have extra money left over to equal how much the RSM kit costs.

I was just wondering if it would be the same as the 3.1 cause theyre a bit different. And i havnt heard much about any turbod 3100s on this site. Would the 3100 use the same parts as the 3.1? I really want some more power but it seems like they dont make anything for the 3100

I was just wondering if it would be the same as the 3.1 cause theyre a bit different. And i havnt heard much about any turbod 3100s on this site. Would the 3100 use the same parts as the 3.1? I really want some more power but it seems like they dont make anything for the 3100

NO...the 3100 is a much different motor. The VIN T 3.1 has a 2 bar MAP sensor. The VIN-T's motor has O-shaped exhaust ports, while the 3100 has D-shaped exhaust ports. The 3100 memcal is not set up to control boost. If your 3100 is ODBII, then it will def. NOT work with TGP parts.

The parts you would need (and I recommend) to turbo a 3.1 (not 3100) would be:

TGP Exhaust Manifolds

Crossover Pipe With Flange

Turbo Downpipe

2 bar MAP sensor

TGP Memcal

Intercooler (Turbos are A WASTE without them)

TGP Radiator (Transmission Cooler Lines Run Through This)

Transmission Cooler

4T60 (NON-E transmisson. The electronic transmissons are fairly weak)

Boost Controller

The supercharger kit from RSM isn't bad, but it costs a lot of money. An L67 swap is WAY cheaper.

Can you freaking do anything cool to this damn engine! :(

I guess ill just have to hold out for a 3800 swap.

Jusf for the hell of it whats the addy for RSM's kit?

Also what the heck is an L67 swap. Ive heard people mentioning this everywhere but havnt found a decent explanation yet :) -- hope that isnt too stupid of a question

Well, heres another problem with turboing a stock 3100. It has 9.6:1 Compression, so you wouldnt be able to run near as much boost as you could on a 3.1L. There are some cool things to do, you just need to take the motor apart to do them. Like run 12:1 or 11:1 compression, port and polish your heads and intakes, stuff like that

Robby

Ok another question from Mr. Clueless :) what exactly does port & polishing consist of? Ive heard it so many times and still dont understand what the hell it is....

Port and Polishing is a process where the heads are removed and the intakes and exhaust ports for each cylinder are opened up so more mixture can flow in, the polished so the mixture comes in smooth and with as little turbulence as possible. The same would be done for your intake manifolds, to match the new size of your intakes on your heads.

Robby

Like run 12:1 or 11:1 compression

WHOA THERE BIG SHIFTER... 12:1 and turbo and you would promtly eject your head through your hood... you want to lower compression down to about 8.4:1 would be desired for about 15lbs of boost... that would probly give you a nice round 275-300 HP.

Personally im building mine to run 20-23lbs street off pump gass, but im doing IC and alcohol injection for cooling, and a huge turbo with a 35-50 shot of nitrous to spool it...

- Justin

WHOA THERE BIG SHIFTER... 12:1 and turbo and you would promtly eject your head through your hood... you want to lower compression down to about 8.4:1 would be desired for about 15lbs of boost... that would probly give you a nice round 275-300 HP.

- Justin

Justin, Robby wasn't suggesting he run that compression AND a turbo. He was suggesting that INSTEAD of a turbo :wink:

And for more information on port and polish work, check out http://www.60degreev6.com. For the lazy people out there...here's the direct link http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=sections&sid=29 :D

The 3100 head and combustion chamber design is better then the 3.1 and you can run higher CR on the same amount of boost. Mick went into great detail about this somewhere, either here in the TGP section or over at 60v6.

- Justin

Justin, Robby wasn't suggesting he run that compression AND a turbo. He was suggesting that INSTEAD of a turbo :wink:

And for more information on port and polish work, check out http://www.60degreev6.com. For the lazy people out there...here's the direct link http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=sections&sid=29 :D

Yeah, thats what I meant. Thanks Burning Rom.

Robby

Guest TurboSedan
The VIN T 3.1 has a 2 bar MAP sensor.

i think you mean the 3.1 VIN 'V' has a 2 bar MAP sensor. the regular 3.1 n/a VIN 'T' engine calibration is not setup to control boost.

joshua