thermostat replacement

mediabandit

ok i saw that there is supposebly some sort of special method to replace the thermostat on these engines. am i correct or is it just like the rest? drain rad, remove thermostat, replace with new thermostat, refill coolant 50/50 water/prestone then run with heater on for 15 mins.

it is a '91 Z34 with the 3.4l dohc.

if someone could just post a little write up on the whole procedure that would be the cat's ass....thanks.

and yes i bought a 190degree thermostat, just have to drill it now.

I would stick with a stock thermostat.

With that said the early 3.4's thermostat is a pain IMO. There are two 13 mm bolts IIRC. Then there is a hook that supports the coolant bypass pipe and then you can get to the other bolt.

You will need a 13mm deep well and a ratchet.

Remove the thermostat hosing and replace it. Torque is 18 ft-lbs, IIRC. Depending on how much coolant you use you might need to start it and bleed the system.

Start it with the bleeders open and once coolant starts to come out of the bleeders tighten them back up. Fill coolant as necessary.

I would stick with a stock thermostat.

With that said the early 3.4's thermostat is a pain IMO. There are two 13 mm bolts IIRC. Then there is a hook that supports the coolant bypass pipe and then you can get to the other bolt.

You will need a 13mm deep well and a ratchet.

Remove the thermostat hosing and replace it. Torque is 18 ft-lbs, IIRC. Depending on how much coolant you use you might need to start it and bleed the system.

Start it with the bleeders open and once coolant starts to come out of the bleeders tighten them back up. Fill coolant as necessary.

cool, i will attack it tomorrow morning when i get home from work. thanks.

I didn't have to bleed anything when I did my car...but I didn't drain any coolant either..though I did watch the temp guage for a bit to be sure everything was all good again./

well hopefully everything goes fine. i will repost tomorrow night after i am done to let you know how it went and if i had any issues. thanks for the info and the suggestions.

I'd give ya a hand but .. omfg I can't even get time to place a stupid coolant sensor!!!! =X

=(::::

My car is gonna blow up. The offices better be ready to foot out the bill for replacement. Or their cad-monkey on wheels will be goin no where.

I'd give ya a hand but .. omfg I can't even get time to place a stupid coolant sensor!!!! =X

=(::::

My car is gonna blow up. The offices better be ready to foot out the bill for replacement. Or their cad-monkey on wheels will be goin no where.

ya i know what u mean about not having the time. i work all night then do my own computer business thing during the day. i still haven't even had time to get out to that junkyard to look at that Z34 ffs!

but thanks for the offer to help anyway. i will try and get it done tomorrow if i get a chance. i never had anytime today to do it. it will get done eventually. no worries.