Bizarre problem: why are all the interior lights on? Answer: the rheostat duh

jenniferpa

95 Cutlass Supreme Coupe. My son just called me to say he parked the car, but all the interior lights have come on and stayed on. He's tried opening and closing the doors several times to no avail. Any ideas?

TIA

Jennifer

Uh... hmm. First of all - how long do you wait for the lights to go off.. they usually stay on and fade out.

Also, it's possible the doorpin has failed somehow.

the lights have a timer. must wait 30 second after closing the door....... could that be it?

there is also the posibility one of the doorpins having failed.... the lights will turn off after a few minutes automatically.

Sorry guys: you were too quick for me. Apparently he knocked the rheostat that controls the dash lights - putting it full on turns all the interior lights on: you learn something new every day. Problem solved.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Jennifer

Yes, I've read on the board that there is a time-out, so that after a certain period of time they will go out. However, twice now an inadequately closed door has resulted in a flat battery (at least that's where I've placed the blame). I'm wondering now whether turning the dash rheostat somehow disables this feature: this would explain why there have been more occasions when I've found the door inadequately closed but HAVEN'T had a flat battery.

Jennifer

Sorry guys: you were too quick for me. Apparently he knocked the rheostat that controls the dash lights - putting it full on turns all the interior lights on: you learn something new every day. Problem solved.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Jennifer

HE??? Why is it always a man's fault? :surprised:

Well in this case because my son is a he (at least I assume...) Actually, this problem is more likely to occur with a male: my (female) legs are much shorter than his (male) legs and having watched him get out of the car, teenage gangly legs and arms akimbo, if there's anything to BE knocked he's more likely to knock it. I am entirely more ladylike when exiting a car :lol:

Jennifer

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you think perhaps you should get out more? :biggrin:

Now, if was my 21 year old daughter we were talking about....

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you think perhaps you should get out more? :biggrin:

:high5: A lady that can hold her own, rock on.

This board seems to scare off the easily-intimidated ones.

I am out too much already. But I'll stand by my compliment! :)