Cruise Control stoped working!

Snakesk8s

Ok, my 89 regal w/ 2.8 Cruise Control stoped working!! I drive to Ma. (from NY) almost every other weekend and I use it all the time!

Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

Well in your other post you said that your vacum line is messed. I would bet it has SOMETHING to do with that. if you get your vacum lines back together, then I bet your cruise would work!

I would check the ground wire for it. It is very common for those to get corroded or disconnected meaning no power for the cruise control. If that is what it is it is a very simple fix. (cleaning the wire, and regrounding it to something)

I would check the ground wire for it. It is very common for those to get corroded or disconnected meaning no power for the cruise control. If that is what it is it is a very simple fix. (cleaning the wire, and regrounding it to something)

That will be awesome if it's just that, but where is it? I know that sounds sad but where is the C.C. unit??

Thanks for the help??

Look underneath your dashpad. On your brake pedal there is a button switch. The switch is connected to a vacuum line and responsible for maintaining the cruise control.

Only when you apply the brake, that switch is suppose to open and thereby cut-off the cruise control and won't maintain the speed.

If that line is is disconnected or cracked then your cruise control won't work.

Look also on the engine driver side and you will find a round plastic ball and it is responsible for holding vacuum for the cruise control and make sure it is not cracked or line is not disconnected or cracked.

The cruise control should have 2 forms of shutoff, one being the vacuum line the other being an electronic switch connected to the brake pedal. If the vacuum line is rotted, like mine was, just disconnect it from the vacuum canister and put a plug on the vacuum canister nipple. That is all I did and my cruise works just fine. One of these days I'm going to re-run that hose but I'm not looking forward to it.

The cruise control is a black rectangular box, usually black on top silver on the bottom. It will have linkage going to the throttle body coming from it. I don't know where it is located on your car, but I know it is usually on the drivers side of the car on the firewall or close to it, then you just find the ground wire coming from it and make sure it has a good connection.

the cruise control and vent selector are both on the same vacuum line as youve probably already figured out, if one doesnt work, the other wont either

the cruise control and vent selector are both on the same vacuum line as youve probably already figured out, if one doesnt work, the other wont either

Ya, I guessed that.... There is one line left and I can't find out where it goes!! it's behind that wierd black/silver vacuum box... I think it goes somewhere below that but I don't know where!!

Thanks for the info

Ya, I guessed that.... There is one line left and I can't find out where it goes!! it's behind that wierd black/silver vacuum box... I think it goes somewhere below that but I don't know where!!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

last time my cruise control didn't work it was right after i picked it up from the dealership. it was because that "black sphere with silver around it" was disconnected from the throttle cable. pretty simple, eh? just a matter of popping the cable into on of the holes on the CC module thingy

Can anyone post pics of where this "black with silver" box is, espc. on the 3100? Or just an engine shot of a 3100 with a circle arround what I have to look at?

Ill look at the pedal tommorw. If its soemting that just fell out, thats cool with me.

Is this the usual reason it fails? I thought it coulda been someting electrical on the actuall cruise control selector on the turn signal switch

jon

hmm...That doesnt look anything like mine. Should I take it back? I want one of those Red X's. Look "powerfull"

j/k

need to host it...let me know...i dont have to worry bout that. What was it?

Jon

um, are you saying you dont see the pic? its showing up for me and i bet anyone else u ask can see it. if u have aim or emaiul capable of attachments let me know and ill send it

• 3 weeks later...

on that box that is circled...what exactly am i looking for. Also, do I have to remove the interior cloth below the dash, to look higher up the brake pedal?

jon