Gasoline

SLAMDIT

I've been wanting off and on over the past few years to pick up an 80's Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel and run it on whatever alternative fuel I can find. I've just always liked those big S-class Benzes, even the 80's ones.

Is "red fuel" the same or similar to home heating oil used in the Northeastern states?

I have heard of people saying running that stuff will get you thousands of dollars in fines... but, who, when, and where would they ever check the color of your fuel?

I have never been pulled over by a cop who has asked, "by the way, let me check your fuel color".

On the other hand, I just searched Google and some owners of large diesel pickups actually have said cops will stop them randomly in parking lots and rest areas to check. I would find it odd for them to be able to do that without probable cause.

Anyone ever had a diesel CAR and has had a cop ask to check the color of the fuel???

I've never heard of that. In fact, I've never heard of diesel truck owners being checked. Thats really really odd.

IMO, If I owned diesel, it would be running on Propane and french fry grease.

Yeah, these guys here have mentioned having their fuel color checked:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3347807&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

I think it's a lot more likely you'll get checked in a heavy duty truck than an old luxury car, but I could be wrong.

Propane in a diesel? What's it take to run that? I don't think I'd run propane, personally. Several decades ago, a pickup went through an automated car wash and one of the machines pulled a hose off the propane tank. Somehow, a source of ignition caused a huge explosion and destroyed many buildings and killing many people. It was several decades ago, but my good friend's parents still remembered it and my former stepdad had a cousin that died in it. It's a little too volatile for my comfort.

As for french fry grease, the problem with that is most fast food joints and restaurants around here get paid for it by some recycling company. It would be really hard to find a place that's going to let you have any.

It would be bad for the environment, but I've even looked at the gallons of used motor oil I have sitting in my garage that I haven't gotten around to taking to O'Reillys to dispose of and thought, "if I had a diesel car, I'd seriously consider running the car off that!"

Yeah, these guys here have mentioned having their fuel color checked:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3347807&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

As for french fry grease, the problem with that is most fast food joints and restaurants around here get paid for it by some recycling company. It would be really hard to find a place that's going to let you have any.

Around here most of the fast-food places have to pay to get the stuff hauled off, so you'd be doing them a favor :dunno:

Around here most of the fast-food places have to pay to get the stuff hauled off, so you'd be doing them a favor :dunno:

You're in luck if that's the case! I would definitely ask around BEFORE purchasing a diesel car though. If it turns out they get paid for their grease, you won't have a source.

I've been wanting off and on over the past few years to pick up an 80's Mercedes 300SD turbodiesel and run it on whatever alternative fuel I can find. I've just always liked those big S-class Benzes, even the 80's ones.

Is "red fuel" the same or similar to home heating oil used in the Northeastern states?

I have heard of people saying running that stuff will get you thousands of dollars in fines... but, who, when, and where would they ever check the color of your fuel?

I have never been pulled over by a cop who has asked, "by the way, let me check your fuel color".

On the other hand, I just searched Google and some owners of large diesel pickups actually have said cops will stop them randomly in parking lots and rest areas to check. I would find it odd for them to be able to do that without probable cause.

Anyone ever had a diesel CAR and has had a cop ask to check the color of the fuel???

Red dyed diesel is for off road use only. It produces more power than on-highway diesel, but also more pollution. Tell-tale sign that someone is running red fuel is excessive exhaust smoke. Granted, older diesels may produce more stack emissions as well so the likelyhood of being pulled over in an older truck is going to be greater even if you aren't running off-road diesel as it is. But if you are driving a brand new Kenworth that is just beltching black smoke out the stack...its pretty obvious to law enforcement.