Gasoline

SLAMDIT

So gas just went up to $3.49 in my area and I don't even know how to react. I think I am slowly becoming numb to gas prices. I commute 45 miles each way to work and back everyday and my wife commutes 60 each way. Her bonneville gets 28mpg and I am pullin 30 with the cutlass. Even with the good gas mileage it is rediculous how much we spend in gas in a month. My Suburban is clean up and in Summer storage in the garage until prices come down... I refuse to even start the engine with these prices.

Anyone else wonder just how high it is gonna go and then how far it will fall again? Will we ever see under $3/gallon again or is this the new "norm??"

Pretty soon I am gonna quit playin with cars and start customizing bikes since they will be the only thing I can afford to drive and enjoy.

Even my motorcycle now takes over 10 bucks to fill and it holds 3.5 gallons.

I don't even know what else to say.....

-Sean

the only reason I havent tried to sell the Jimmy for a bike yet is because I don't want to drive the cutlass in the winter. I was thinking the other day I should sell it, pick up an older W cutlass sedan for as cheap as possible and then try to find a bike with the extra cash. I know bikes are fun on their own, but come on, it took me 48$ to fill up the car last week, thats rediculous, and that was at 3.13. seriously, its rediculous. anyone want a jimmy? :lol:

I am considering going diesel....... and running on old cooking grease... or propane. anything to kick it to the man.

so... what can I do to convert a W body to be a diesel? like the diesel fiero?

Yeah, I've started to look for a VW diesel, I could fill it up with red fuel on the farm and save some more coin. Between $2.-- fuel and 40-50 mpg, that seems like a win-win situation.

:eek: wher the heck are you guys getting your gas??? here in canada alberta to be specific were only paying $1.20 a liter

Convert liters to gallons, and CAD to US Dollars, and were paying 4.12$ a gallon when its at 1.20 a liter. I dont think you US guys should be complaining :lol:

:eek: wher the heck are you guys getting your gas??? here in canada alberta to be specific were only paying $1.20 a liter

Convert liters to gallons, and CAD to US Dollars, and were paying 4.12$ a gallon when its at 1.20 a liter. I dont think you US guys should be complaining :lol:

:lol: you have a point

Yeah, I've started to look for a VW diesel, I could fill it up with red fuel on the farm and save some more coin. Between $2.-- fuel and 40-50 mpg, that seems like a win-win situation.

yeah except it'll take you a week to get to the grocery store and back.

from what i've heard a new harley 883 will fuel injection gets 57 miles to a gallon. my dad's low glide(not wide glide, or low rider and yes its rare) got a minimum of 40 miles to a gallon when he beat the living hell out of it: rubber at every stoplight and a few metal shavings from leaning over a little too far in a curve. the only real problem with a bike is everybody else drives like a fucking retard.

x2

from what i've heard a new harley 883 will fuel injection gets 57 miles to a gallon. my dad's low glide(not wide glide, or low rider and yes its rare) got a minimum of 40 miles to a gallon when he beat the living hell out of it: rubber at every stoplight and a few metal shavings from leaning over a little too far in a curve. the only real problem with a bike is everybody else drives like a fucking retard.

Up here we can only run farm fuel in vehicles with an "F" plate, or one that is being used only for farm business. Just another way Canada fucks the farmers lol

I feel the same pain. I drive 100 miles round trip 4 days a week to work and back. Thankfully, my little Nissan gets 32-35 MPG. I still drive the Cutty a couple of days when it's a gorgeous day like today was.

Unfortunately this is the new norm. We will never in our lifetimes see gasoline at its previous lows. Things can only get worse from here. I feel particularly for the young people because they will see the worst times when there is very little gasoline to be had at costs of $10 a gallon or more.

I've posted this website before http://www.peakoil.com , I know a lot of you think they are full of shit, but it is the only logical conclusion to come to. There's only so much oil in the ground and when it's gone that's it. These are not crackpots that have come to this conclusion, they are very educated scientists and geologists.

What's the solution? I would say that right now electric powered cars with ranges of perhaps 200 miles a day will soon be within the realm of technology. Maybe they could be plugged into an outlet that has electricity generated by wind turbines or solar panels, I think that will be feasible within the next 10 years.

Trouble is, the truth is very hard to believe until the facts are staring you in the face. Maybe when gas stations start running dry because of a lack of supply is when the great majority will wake up and face the unpleasant realities. Maybe that's when our brilliant government will decide that it is time to reinvest in our railroads to save lots of petrol based energy supplies.

Who knows? The only certainty is that the future ain't pretty.......................

I think that in the future, our grandchildren's generations will be cursing ours and our father's for having this precious gift of oil that nature gave us and we squandered it over about 150 years and left nothing.

Gas is around 3.15 where im at. Luckily i live near a reservation where gas is more like 2.80 a gallon, which helps a little. ALOT of people in my area drive pickups and suvs, i dont know how they afford it.

Up here we can only run farm fuel in vehicles with an "F" plate, or one that is being used only for farm business. Just another way Canada fucks the farmers lol

Same down here, but who's going to check a beetle or golf, especially if you take the TDI badges off of it?

Also, I'd only be able to live with one with a stick, the auto would be a chore to drive I think. I'm not really looking to get a bike at all, the only days nice enough to ride it would be days I'd be driving the vette, and I'm looking for more of a long distance mileage car, not some bike I can't haul anything with.

Trust me, I'm no city boy. I'd guess that 75% of the people around here that have farms with semis and diesel pickups run red. Every one I know does.

Hell, even if you run on-highway diesel you're still saving money ($2.89 vs $3.49/gal here). Plus the fact diesels are more fuel efficient. Personally, I wouldn't chance getting caught w/ red dye in my tank...I've seen the fines. Plus with the new emission standards for 2007 diesel engines, I'm willing to bet they raised the fines as well. On another note, just seen the effects of these new emission standards the other day...brand new Cummins ISX 15 liter with after-treatment system, absolutely zero smoke...was odd to see the accellerator being mashed to the floor without a plume of black smoke.

A better alternative to electric IMO is biodiesel...cheap, easy to produce, can be produced domesticly, and revitalizes a struggling agricultural economy. Plus, pretty much every diesel engine currently produced can run it with little to no modifications. I may be a bit biased however, since I'm employed by Cummins. :)

Gas is around 3.15 where im at. Luckily i live near a reservation where gas is more like 2.80 a gallon, which helps a little. ALOT of people in my area drive pickups and suvs, i dont know how they afford it.

my dads Tahoe gets 17 MPG. i thought that was pretty good for a 5??? pound vehicle with a 350 and an automatic

Last night I paid $1.049 per liter, car took $55 from empty! This morning, not 12 hours later, that very same gas station was up to $1.129. As far as I'm concerned there should be a limit on how much they can raise it in a 24 hour period.

Not sure how many people know this little fact,

The alberta tar sands have enough oil in them to supply Canada for some 200 years at 85 cents a liter. But instead our government exports it to the states for less than that, and imports the gas that is sold here from other countries.

Jamie

Last night I paid $1.049 per liter, car took $55 from empty! This morning, not 12 hours later, that very same gas station was up to $1.129. As far as I'm concerned there should be a limit on how much they can raise it in a 24 hour period.

The alberta tar sands have enough oil in them to supply Canada for some 200 years at 85 cents a liter. But instead our government exports it to the states for less than that, and imports the gas that is sold here from other countries.

Jamie

wow, thats a pretty stupid system.

Jamie

yup, thats the Canadian government for ya...

Jamie

A guy I work with has a friend in TX with oil fields. He was saying they would normally come get it every 6 months or so, and recently they have not bought any from him in over 15 years. He also said that the oil fields he has could supply the entire US for five years!

Jamie

yup, thats the Canadian government for ya...

Jamie

Don't rule out Saskatchewan either...we have a lot of oil too, but it's mostly untapped due to the NDP government here.