Stupid Noob question on DIC.

Hippie

OK, I'm "new" to W-bodies, I do most of my fun wrenching on 60's and 70's iron. I keep seeing posts about "DIC" and I am wondering if that is referring to the Digital Display mounted in the Console on some W's ? I am looking at an '89 GP SE with one of those displays and since I have not seen the car in person yet, only in pics, I have to ask........... what the F*** is the display for and is this the infamous "DIC" everyone seems to want ? :?

Hey, if anybody wants to know anything about '61-'64 X Frame Chevies, holler. THOSE I know a "little" about. :D

Yep, that's it. DIC stands for Driver Information Center.

On the Grand Prix, it's a big compass and has a text display on top that normally displays the date. The buttons can change that date display to show instant or average fuel economy, range, and has a service schedule that will tell you to change your oil, air filter, etc. after a certain amount of miles have elapsed.

Cutlass Supreme and Grand Prix are the only 2 of the older W-bodies that could come with a DIC. I think all the current models can come with them.

Thanks for the explanation. In other words "something else that probably doesn't work and is expensive to fix". Hmmm, maybe I don't want that '89................. too many gadgets.

Gadgets = Good.

Actually, older W-body gadgets are cheap to buy off Ebay.

I think DIC's for the older GP's rarely go for more than $20 on Ebay.

Plus, I've never had a GP DIC go bad. I had a Cutlass one go bad, but I've seen those go as cheap as $10 on Ebay, and the local 'yard let me buy all the GP and Cutlass DIC's I want for $5/each.

One benefit of owning a car with terrible resale, is the parts have terrible resale too!