90 CS DIS install

Roadzombie

Been searching the boards for the past few hours have gotten me nowhere fast. I picked up bits and pieces, but would like to condense that into one small, bite-size package before heading to the U-Pull-It and grabbing a bunch of crap I can't use...soooo without further ado, here's the question:

I currently do not have a DIS in my car, I want to add one. From what I gather my car SHOULD be prewired for it, all I'd need is the actual DIS unit, the cubby pocket (no HUD on this car), and an "extention harness" of some sort (I'm sure I'll understand this better when I'm pulling it...). So basicly, its a Plug-and-play install without a days worth of cutting and splicing wires. Is this correct?

Also, I'm somewhat interested in doing the Electronic Climate Control upgrade as well...but this isn't a simple plug and play installation, correct?

My background is in electronics/electrical work...I'm just not interested in giant wiring jobs anymore. After the PW/PL upgrade I did on my old 89 Ford Probe GT I'm pretty much set for the next decade or so when it comes to rewiring automotive accessories. The ECC upgrade would be a nice addition, but I can live without it. But if the DIS is simply plug and play...I'm all about that kinda upgrade ;)

well if your ar is prewired for DIS you are all set. just plug in the 2 plugs from your car and thats it. If your car is prewired the wires will be tucked up behind the climate control unit. thats easy. The ECC on the other hand is a project with alot of patience and time. there is a writeup for that in the forum somewhere but it is not easy. Good luck.

So, best bet is tear the dash apart and check before heading to the junkers. Gotcha :)

Already had the fun task of removing a circa 1990 CodeAlarm...the kind with the keypad. Yeah...would love to find the jackass that installed that and shoot him. Judging from the pictures of the DIS modules I've seen, it doesn't look like it would take much to wire it in if I wasnt prewired...but plug and play would be SCHWEET. I may change my mind and just add it even if it isn't prewired. I miss having a trip computer. The aforementioned Probe had one...didnt have power anything, but it had the trip computer and premium sound package...go figure.

well the way i always seem to find cuttys is if it has ECC it is wired for hud and DIS and if it doesnt it may only have

DIS. unless it is a 94 then it will have nothing lol

well the way i always seem to find cuttys is if it has ECC it is wired for hud and DIS and if it doesnt it may only have

DIS. unless it is a 94 then it will have nothing lol

I just got through tearing apart my dash to find the damn DIS plugs. '93 CS Vert. ECC. No DIS wires. No HUD wires. I can tell the ECC is not an "afterthought" install because the wires are still properly bundled into the main harness.

Now I need to know how to get the DIS setup. Once I get that damn thing going, I'll be friggin happy.

I have finally figured out how I am going to install the DIS, also. I am pulling the ashtray out of the sport pod and putting it there. I test fit it and all I need to do is get creative with some mounting. It will be pretty easy. Hopefully, I have the patience to do pictures and then try an write-up.

My UB3 cluster is next. I have the gauges (needles) cluster right now and the digital gauges cluster is sitting on my table. I am going to the jy to find a damn plug that I can create my own pass-through. From what I can tell, I have to swap all but one friggin wire! Ugh! I don't want to undo the original plug because I want to be able to plug my original cluster in there. Don't ask, you don't want to know.

Hey, I wanted it. I guess I have to deal with it.

hey i was just reading and i was looking into this DIS as well in my 92 International it already has the HUD and the UB3 i just put in as well as the ECC but from what i see in where the ECC is there's no prewires for the DIS

does this sound odd to some or would it just be normal??

and if i were to get a DIS how hard would it be to wire one in?

(i have no wiring experience except the UB3 plug change over)

I don't think anything 92-up will be prewired for DIS because it was only available 89-91.

A long time ago, my sister had a 90 base-model 4dr with the base cluster and manual AC, but it had the optional power windows/locks/antenna package. It was prewired for DIS! I needed the connectors for my '94 so I hacked out a wiring pigtail. My sister never missed 'em. :)

If you need a wiring pigtail, check even the base model 89-91 cars in the JY. They just might be prewired.

I don't think anything 92-up will be prewired for DIS because it was only available 89-91.

A long time ago, my sister had a 90 base-model 4dr with the base cluster and manual AC, but it had the optional power windows/locks/antenna package. It was prewired for DIS! I needed the connectors for my '94 so I hacked out a wiring pigtail. My sister never missed 'em. :)

If you need a wiring pigtail, check even the base model 89-91 cars in the JY. They just might be prewired.

lol tats one way to do it. If you need a set of pigtails for the DIS lmk and i ca send a set for 5 plus 3 for shipping

I am going to make a very much needed trip to the jy. It has been awhile since I have been to one of those. I have scoped them out, though over the past couple of weeks and I know exactly which ones I will hit up and in what order.

Have been searching the boards for days now for this topic. Because I have a '93, apparantly they did not come with the DIS, so I have no wires for it. With that, I finally found something and I wanted to see if this is what I need to do.

Also does anyone have the wiring diagram for the DIS? It would be really helpful as my service manual for the '93 does not have that at all.

The BLUE connector is C1.

Wire A = a RED wire. Connect it to an ORANGE wire that

is HOT ALL OF THE TIME. (I connected mine to the

ORANGE wire that gives power to the cigarette lighter,

but it is recommended that you connect it to the ELEC.

Fuse #2 constant +12V (top row, middle fuse).)

Wire B = PINK/BLACK. Connect it to a wire that is HOT

IN RUN. (I connected mine to one of the PINK/BLACK

wire in my dash, but it is recommended that you

connect it to CLUST. Fuse #9 switched +12V (3rd row,

far right).)

Wire C = BROWN. Connect it to the light on input. In

my car I have a YELLOW wire in slot C10 but I think

that that is exclusive to the digi-dash. I want to soy

that there should be a YELLOW wire coming out of the

headlight switch that should work. I know that on my

dash, when the lights are on, and the display is at

MAX, then it has no power in the wire, but when I

adjust the lever down, the wire becomes hot, and dims

steadily. I use a tester that is just a screwdriver

looking thing that has a point at one end, and an

alligator clip that you hook up to ground.

Wire D = GREY. Connect this to one of the grey wire

for illumination. I hooked mine up to the GREY wire

that lights up the bulb for the cigarette lighter

light.

Wire E = BLACK/WHITE. This is a ground.

Wire F = BLACK/GREY. This wire is not used.

Wire G = YELLOW. Connect this wire to the LITE BLUE

wire in the dash (You may not have this wire). This is

your English/metric wire. In my car, I push a button

on the dash to change it from English (MPH) to metric

(KPH). When this wire is hooked up, it automatically

changes the DIC display from one to the other when the

E/M button is pushed on the dash. This is a wire that

is not necessary for the DIC to function, so if you do

not have the wire, then just leave it unconnected.

Wire H = BLACK. This is a ground. I hooked this up to

the BLACK wire connected to the cigarette lighter

light.

The BLACK connector is C2.

Wire A is ORANGE. Connect this to the ORANGE wire

coming out of the ALDL connector under your dash. This

is your SERIAL DATA INPUT where the DIC will get the

info for your gauges button.

Wire B = DARK GREEN. Connect this to the DARK GREEN

wire in the dash. This is your Vehicle Speed Input. In

my car it is wire number D15.

Wire C = PINK. Connect this one to the PURPLE wire in

the dash. This is your vehicle Fuel sender wire. In my

car it is wire number D13.

Wire D = BLACK/GREEN. This is another GROUND. It is

not used in the 91 model.

Driver Info System was not available 92+.

You will not find a new cutlass with one. If you put

one in your car, then it will go where the storage

cubbyhole is under the ashtray. The screw-holes for

the 98 Regency’s DIC is identical the Cutlasses, so it

will go there with no problem. If you get the DIC out

of a Cutlass, then be sure to get the storage pocket

as well. IF (OR WHEN) you get the HUD, then the

control switch will go where the storage is. 89-90

cars got a little pocket in the empty space. HUD

control panel was mounted above the headlight switch

(below the dash pad).

91 cars got a little pocket if they didn't have HUD.

Cars with HUD got the control panel instead of the

pocket.