how to remove rear view mirror from windshield

backyardmechanic

I went to replace a rear view mirror on my car and I screw up and put that metal piece that goes on the window on backwards and of course the mirror doesn't stay on. How do I remove it? That adhesive really has got that stuck to the windshield. I'm afraid if I pound on it the windshield will crack.

Thanks,

Gary

you got it easy then. I tried to take one off, and ended up break the windshield, and there was still glass on the metal piece after it was off! :eek:

I used laquer thinner ... i had a rag and squirted the thinner on there while soaking up the excess with a rag... i would squirt it then try to wiggle it after a few times it started to wiggle then it came off... ive also heard that 3m adhesive remover works the same

Let your car bake in the sun for a good few hours. I've seen a few people when they get back in the cars that the mirror fell off on its own. But after baking it, the glue will be in a type of jelly form and should be able to pulll it off. But heat is the key.

Let your car bake in the sun for a good few hours. I've seen a few people when they get back in the cars that the mirror fell off on its own. But after baking it, the glue will be in a type of jelly form and should be able to pulll it off. But heat is the key.

x2. Heat is the way to go.