Rear deck speaker mounts????

synistershadows

alright well im putting in new 6X9's in my rear deck and want to use the same mounting brakets but i want to get rid of that cover and frame and just use the new speaker covers but i want it to be smooth. i took off the grill and only to my suprise theres a hole around the original brakets? and that plastic frame that holds the grill on seems to be melded to the carpet.

anyone have any ideas to fill in the hole and get it to look smooth without that plastic stuff? i also would like to use the original carpetif possible?

So, you want to use the new speaker grilles, and yet you want to use the original carpet for a nice smooth look....I'm not getting something here.

ok well here i just got new infinity's so i want to use the speaker covers with thoes. but the old ones that are in the car now cover the speaker and the hole around the speaker and holding that cover down is this crappy looking plastic frame. i just want to get rid of the plastic frame, old speaker cover, and cover up the hole around the speaker to give it a nice clean look using the original carpet if possible to cover up the hole. it looks like its sitting on like thin MDF or something?

That plastic frame the the speaker sits on, you need. Unless you wanna screw the speaker into the rear deck, which I duno how well that would work out. Your not going to be able to coverup that hole once you take off the stock speaker grilles. It is like a thin particle board kinda shit, and it breaks very easily. Unless you can find a whole new rear deck to put in place, one that doesnt have the holes, its not going to look good even if you do. Just stick with the stock grilles, and dont use the infinity grilles IMHO

Yeah thats what I did. Left the stock grills in place and just left my infinity grill off the speakers. Also doesnt attract people looking into your car too.

ya now that i look it over i think im just gona do that but put new cloth on the covers. my old ones faded kida purple :willynilly: it looks ridiculus

ya now that i look it over i think im just gona do that but put new cloth on the covers. my old ones faded kida purple :willynilly: it looks ridiculus

Just in case this is similar to what you are talking about: http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,56755.msg709340.html. This is where I used nylon and spandex trouser socks to recover my front dash speaker grills.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really really want to use the new speaker grills, you'll probably have to build a new rear deck cover out of thin hardboard covered in new carpet. You'll have to cut new holes in the hardboard for the speakers to fit through, and then you have to mount the grills down to hold it in place.... it can be done, but you gotta be handy with some upholstry and do a lot of test fitting, or it could look like crap.... to tell you the truth it'd be much better to leave your stock rear grills so it's not obvious you have aftermarket speakers sitting in there ready to steal.