To buy or pass on a 96 GTP? Pics! 56k... nah (All parts come with the car)

Q-Ball

Well, I found a 2 door white 96 GTP in my area today. I talked to the guy and he has had the car sitting for almost a year. There isnt much damage either. The B4U is in good shape. No cracks at all. It's loaded on the inside all leather with HUD and DIC. 3.4 DOHC with 206,xxx KM on it. Has sunroof, but its off the car. He also has the front brakes off as well as the exhaust. He was planning on cleaning up the car, but just wants to sell it. It also has the 5 spokes. The hood latch is busted and we have no way getting the hood open. I have a car starter jumper and was wondering how we could get the hood open to try and fire it up?

Good:

Looks decent and need minor body work

All Leather

Bad:

The hood latch is busted

Sunroof is out

Exhaust is off

Brakes are off

Probably needs to be towed.

He wants me to make an offer. His offer was 600.00 CAD. What do you guys think? I was thinking for my brother to have a car, but now I'm thinking for me. :biggrin:

Thats not too awful bad, I mean theres not much work involved in getting that running and on the road again.

If you wanna pop the hood, read up under the car, in front of the valance, and youll feel the hood latch. Just try to get it open as I duno what part of it is actually broken

a good parts car for yours?

No, I want to get it on the road. It's got pretty much everything I wanted for my car anyways. 96 Front brakes, 94+ rear brakes, newwer parking brake, newwer dash, leather, sunroof, steering wheel controls. I think it has almost everything but a CD Player. Just has the stock tape deck. It also has the keyless entry too.

Thats not too awful bad, I mean theres not much work involved in getting that running and on the road again.

If you wanna pop the hood, read up under the car, in front of the valance, and youll feel the hood latch. Just try to get it open as I duno what part of it is actually broken

Yeah, I'll have to take a closer look, but when you pull the lever inside the car, it just goes all the way back. I'm gonna take some pictures soon. I might slide back there tonight.

It should be that the cable is just broken. If thats the case, then you can open it with ease, if you can get your arms up there

I wish I had your girly arms right now Jay. :lol: But I'll see if its just broken on the latch. I'll bring some visegrips just incase.

It should be that the cable is just broken. If thats the case, then you can open it with ease, if you can get your arms up there

I wish I had your girly arms right now Jay. :lol: But I'll see if its just broken on the latch. I'll bring some visegrips just incase.

Dont make me come up there and open a hood for you!

The RARE '96 GTP!!!!!

Get it! That's not a terrible price if it's in decent shape!

Yeah, aint bad is it.

Dont make me come up there and open a hood for you!

Hahah, good news! I tried pulling it back and nothing happened. So I was like... What if its already open. I'll let the pictures tell you the answer. :lol:

The RARE '96 GTP!!!!!

:lol: I remeber that, who was that?

Dont know, but here are the pictures!!!!

HPIM1933.jpg

HPIM1934.jpg

HPIM1935.jpg

HPIM1936.jpg

HPIM1937.jpg

HPIM1938.jpg

HPIM1939.jpg

HPIM1940.jpg

The hood latch isnt even connected in here. Thats why it was so loose.

HPIM1941.jpg

The guy wasnt there so I couldnt of started it. It has no power but I brought my battery to try and jump it, but there was no point with no keys. Anyways let me know what you guys think!

looks like a project! at least it is very straight!

I say knock him down a bit and grab it!

say maybe $350-400 tops?

Yeah, its gonna need to be towed I think. He has got the front brakes off. Maybe I can get it going... lol. Put on my plates and drive it home. Now that would be sweet!

Id deff rock it for that amount!

Hell ya. I just noticed my car hiding in one of the pictures too. :lol:

Its in decent shape and I'm sure you can take care of the lose ends, but would your car be better with that ~500 instead of buying another car? Just something to think about

Its in decent shape and I'm sure you can take care of the lose ends, but would your car be better with that ~500 instead of buying another car? Just something to think about

Well its got a lot of stuff I wanted and lots I already got for mine. I'll do some compare shots tomorrow. But to my mind...

96 GTP 92 GP

Interior Have all swapped from 96 cept the dash and seats

3.4 dohc 3.1 mpfi

Stock B4U (Mint) Mines not even fully on... lol and has tears

Both have sunroofs.

34mm front sway bar stock 28mm

96 front brakes crap

94+ rear brakes crap

I've also put a lot more money into my car to make it drivable. Like mainly suspension mods, xlaces with new rubber, dic, hud, leather panels, aq9 seats, rear buckets... so ya. also all the parts i had to put on for an alignment... inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, strut bearing plates... But if I do get this, I'm not going to go crazy. I'll probably keep it stock... for a little while atleast. :lol:

Where the hell are you gonna put another car?

Not that I don't think you should do it, but your parents will kill you!

But if you got that house on Rectory, you would have the space for a project car!

Jamie

well you gotta buy it first!!!!! :lol:

Yeah I'm gonna low ball him. I definitly want to see if it runs or trys to first.

fair enough Jason :lol:, it does seem fairly loaded. Personally I wouldn't, but the price isn't that bad either

Yeah, really I could part it out for more, but i really has everything I want. So tempting!

Where the hell are you gonna put another car?

Not that I don't think you should do it, but your parents will kill you!

But if you got that house on Rectory, you would have the space for a project car!

Jamie

For now I could store it a few blocks over at my grandma's place. She doesnt have a car, but a nice open driveway! :lol: The place on rectory is not for us. Sadly, the garage was nicer than the house. Even though I would probably be in there more than the house.

Good news about a 96 though!

3.4 L DOHC V6 gains 5 hp with intake and exhaust improvements. All Grand Prix coupes get a sport package with five-spoke alloy wheels and dual exhaust. This is the last year for the fifth-generation Grand Prix.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Grand_Prix#1996

I'll be waiting for you at the finish line with your 95 :lol:

I'd get it if it cranked. As long as it ain't frozen, she would be mine!

I'll give him a call after class tomorrow, I wont be able to pay him until Tuesday though.

Damn! Do it! Even if you can't get that car running, you could make one good car!

Hell ya! I think I'm gonna do it! :willynilly:

If anything, part it out on ebay and pour that money into a better car. The wheels look great, there is a few dollars right there. It's a large undertaking...I wouldn't worry about the purchase price as much as the price to get all this stuff to work. You mentioned parts are off the car...that means that parts are also missing from the car. The time involved with these repairs are also a pain...this person tried (and failed 1/2 way) to do it....if you pick it up, you've gotta have gazelle intensity to finish it up, or you'll be in the same boat this guy is in 2 years from now.