Engine OverHaul Later or NOW?

NVMY03GT

I actually use a synthetic, but not a national brand. I get the SupraTech at Wal-Mart. It is $14 for 5 qt bottle. I have used it on my pickup for over 50,000 miles and that thing runs better now than when my dad first bought it (he did buy it new).

Plus, you can go 6,000 miles between oil changes. I also get the SupraTech oil filter. It works better than the low-end fram and you change it out in 6,000 miles, so who cares? I talked to several mechanics that I know and trust before going with this, so it's not like I did this on a whim. Every time I drain the oil, it is the same consistincy as when I put it in, only black in color.

Plus, it is a full synthetic, so if you actually run your engine out of oil, it will still be safe for around 1,000 miles. I had a friend with a mini-van who brought it to me complaining that it was getting hotter than normal. I pulled the dipstick and it came out clean. I drained the oil and it drained about a pint. Not good at all, but it was full synthetic. She actually had a busted oil pan seal, so I had to replace that. I could tell that the engine had been dry for a little while, but it still ran fine after I replaced the seal and filled it with the walmart oil. Didn't have the valve chatter, either. :lol:

This is just my opinion and expierience. Please take it as you can and if you do have questions, ask a mechanic that you do trust. I am not a mechanic, I only play one on TV. :lol:

Problem with Synthetic though is you can't really change over on the fly. YOu kind of have to raise a car on synthetic. Its not really something you want to do at 200k. I agree its probably better to run but I would be hesistant to flip at this age :(

He was going to seafoam the thing, anyway, right? Might as well be now that he swaps.

And, time to start doing your own oil changes IMO. I just can't stand to pay someone to do something that I can, is all. :mad:

And, time to start doing your own oil changes IMO. I just can't stand to pay someone to do something that I can, is all. :mad:

That's kind of hard when it's snowing and you have no garage :psyduck:

Not really. I've done it in the snow.

Uh, snow? I think we had that once here. When it's hard to do is when you are trying to change the oil out in 110 degree heat! You can't strip down enough for that (might be quite offencive to my neighborhood). Don't even need to warm the oil up as it sits there already warmed for you.

Not really. I've done it in the snow.

:lol: Well good for you

A transmission fluid and filter isn't hard either. A little messy maybe.

Messy yes...hard no. Well, just don't replace the transmission filter seal unless it really needs it. It can be an absolute bastard to get out if it's been in there for a while.

I would take care of the transmission & then do the plugs & wires. Check the FAQ section for a good FAQ on the transmission.

A transmission fluid and filter isn't hard either. A little messy maybe.

Messy yes...hard no. Well, just don't replace the transmission filter seal unless it really needs it. It can be an absolute bastard to get out if it's been in there for a while.

I would take care of the transmission & then do the plugs & wires. Check the FAQ section for a good FAQ on the transmission.

I did this two weeks ago. The transmission filter seal is nearly impossible to get out. That being said, and taking into account what was said above, I would change the seal. I used pliers and very carefully grabbed just the rim of the seal and pulled. I did this several times all the way around until it started moving, then it was a snap. Took me about 3 extra minutes to do.

My advice on the transmission fluid drain is to have a big pan (2' x 2' or bigger) sitting below the trans. Loosen all 20 bolts 2 full turns. Then starting wit a corner, remove bolts until it starts to drain. As it is draining, go ahead and keep removing bolts, working your way back from where the fluid is pouring from. When you get to the last few bolts, you are going to need to use one hand to hold the pan while removing them, otherwise it could bend the pan due to the weight of the fluid in the pan itself.

After all that, make sure you clean the pan out really good with rags. The filter doesn't attach to anything, and because the seal has expanded for some reason, it might be tough to get out, so just pull on it really good. This is where I cut my finger. Of course, I must cut myself and bleed anytime I am working on my car. The car needs my blood to run.