94 Pontiac Grand Prix power window motor removal help

backyardmechanic

I need to replace the power window motor on a 94 Grand Prix on the passenger side. I have the door cover off and I see where the motor is mounted with a couple of rivets on the inside of the door. I know I need to drill out those rivets but my worry is since I really can't see the motor and I know it is hooked up to the window track, how do I get that out of there without parts falling off that I can't see? Any pointers will be appeciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Just replace the whole regulator. There should be 4 bolts that hold it on. After you get those bolts out and unplug the motor you should be able to slide the end out of the window track. Then just slide the new one in and bolt it up and its fixed. I think I picked one up at a junk yard for 35 bucks.

no no no!

the only thing loose in the door is the glass.

there are 4 rivets that hold the window mechanism to the door. pop the rivets center out (if necessary), and then drill the rivets out. sometimes the rivets spin and spin, so you must cock you drill at an angle to grind them out.

make sure to support the glass when you pop the 3rd and 4th rivets out so it does not drop. tape MAY be helpful to hold the glass up.

you will discover that the glass has a track that a roller on the end of the window regulator rides in. the roller must be on the track before you start reinstalling/bolting in the replacement regulator.

When i do this task, I choose to ream the holes out to the next larger SAE size (7/16" iirc) and use 7/16" x 3/8" long bolts with NYLOCKING nuts. available from Lowes for a pretty penny.

no no no!

the only thing loose in the door is the glass.

there are 4 rivets that hold the window mechanism to the door. pop the rivets center out (if necessary), and then drill the rivets out. sometimes the rivets spin and spin, so you must cock you drill at an angle to grind them out.

make sure to support the glass when you pop the 3rd and 4th rivets out so it does not drop. tape MAY be helpful to hold the glass up.

you will discover that the glass has a track that a roller on the end of the window regulator rides in. the roller must be on the track before you start reinstalling/bolting in the replacement regulator.

When i do this task, I choose to ream the holes out to the next larger SAE size (7/16" iirc) and use 7/16" x 3/8" long bolts with NYLOCKING nuts. available from Lowes for a pretty penny.

what he said

I just did mine and found that I could get the roller to get on and off the track on the side closest to the handle. I also used tape to hold the glass up, because it will come crashing down and break if you don't catch it.

Just make sure that if you have to hook the switch up to fuck with the motor at all, not to hit the auto-down function and cut your arm off. :lol: I almost did that a couple of times.

And yes, Ken is correct.

And reading your first post more thoroughly, unless you've got the SUPER RARE passenger side auto-down, you won't have to worry about that.

Thanks for all the replies. I see where four rivets and a couple of bolts hold it all in but for the life of me, I can't see how I can pull all of it out through the door. There are only a couple of small openings. Will the motor, track and all come through in one piece?

Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies. I see where four rivets and a couple of bolts hold it all in but for the life of me, I can't see how I can pull all of it out through the door. There are only a couple of small openings. Will the motor, track and all come through in one piece?

Thanks again

Yes, it will, you may need to move the arm position on the motor, I think that helped me.

Thanks again

Yes, it will, you may need to move the arm position on the motor, I think that helped me.

what he said!