FNG has '88 Grand Prix questions.

Hippie

Hi, just bought an '88 GP to tinker with and eventually replace my Honda Accord work beater. OK, when you stop ROTF, I've only owned the Honda a few months. I have been a GM man for 30 years but have always confined my "tinkering" to the older RWD versions. But I digress............. My best friend offered me this high mile '88 GP base model 2 Dr. with a solid 2.8 and freshly rebuilt OD auto for what amounted to pocket change. He owns a trans shop, which is how he came by the car. Owner had sunk a bunch of money in the brakes and suspension then the tranny DOA'd. The owner choked when he found out what a rebuild would cost and sold the car to my buddy CHEAP. Best friend rebuilds the trans and puts his 17 year daughter in it but she won't have it, complains to Mom that there's always something wrong with... blah, blah, blah. Dad gets PO'd with it and offers it to the first sucker that walks in the door, me.

Anyway, it runs and drives great, needs some cosmetic work including a new hood but no big deal. My problem is that for some reason this thing sits up like a frikkin' monster truck ! The bottom of the rockers are 2-3 inches above the center of the wheels plus it has 225/60-16's from a Bonneville or something on it so that makes it sit even higher. I need to get this thing down ! I don't want to turn it into a low rider or anything but this "Big Foot" stance isn't cuttin' it.

I want to have some fun with this car and make it look respectable again. What is the best way to get it just a little lower than stock without killing the ride ? I would like to stick with 16" wheels but with a lower profile tire and something other than those butt ugly things that are on it now. It's metallic gray and I was thinking of gettin' it closer to the ground, shavin' all the emblems and badges, smoothin' out the wrinkles, givin' it a fresh coat of Silver Gray and running 16" steel wheels with Moon discs. I know what you're probably thinking but HEY, I'm an old guy, I like "traditional" hot rod stuff and I want it to be a little different from what most people do with these cars. The car has the right shape to pull off the "salt flats" look and I don't need people thinking I'm some old fart trying to be 20 something again. And anybody that knows me knows this isn't a "second childhood" thing, I'm still workin' on the 1st one ! :wink:

I plan to pretty much leave the 2.8 alone but may drop a 3.1 in later or maybe even a 3.8 if I feel adventurous. For now though is there a decent cat-back exhaust for this thing ? No fart can ricer stuff either. I want efficient, not annoying.

Thanks.

( Hey patgizz !!!! :D It's Glenn from CT. )

225/60-16's were an option on our w bodies

OK. But what in the world could make it sit so high ? It sits a good 3 inches higher than ANY W-body I have seen. I spent good money to raise a Datsun 4X4 that much years ago.

*shrugs* just the way the suspension is I guess.

A few companies offer lowering springs. Might want to check those out.

I found going with some lower profile tires and tossing in a big stereo helped it sit down a little.

The '88 W-bodies had front springs that were ridiculously high. Get a set of code FUX front springs, either new from the dealer or from a junkyard. If getting from a junkyard you may as well pull the whole strut with the spring still installed. Same goes for the rear spring, if you see a '89 Grand Prix SE get all the springs from it and you'll be happy. Many '91+ w-bodies used FUX front springs, but the rears usually were weaker and resulted in sagging and bottoming out. They corrected this in '94-96. Hope this helps

The '88 W-bodies had front springs that were ridiculously high.

I'll say ! Thanks Brian, that's what I was looking for, I think it had new struts installed just before the trans puked. How about '93-'94 Lumina Euro or Z-34 springs ? The boneyard I found my hood in had just drug in one of each. The Z-34 is wrecked in the left front and the 3.4 is gone but it has many good pieces and the interior isn't bad. Wish I'd got there before they sent in the title on the Euro, it has a mint 2 door body except for a dented hood and good interior. Motor's cashed but I have a friend who could hook me up with a 3.8 out of a SSEI Bonneville pretty easily. :D Maybe later on for the GP, we'll have to see how it shapes up.

yeah the Z34 springs would be good for at least the front, but most Luminas, Z34 or base or euro, are always dragging their butt all the time. In fact the cars I never see dragging are any Grand Prix's with the factory body kit, and Regals. I got a rear spring from a '95ish Regal sedan and it's perfect

my friends 9x 2 dr cutlass drags her ass like theres at least 7 dead bodies in the trunk!!!

And how do you know how low 7 dead bodies make a car sit ? :shock:

How about the aftermarket ? I've been checkin' catalogs and haven't seen squat for W-bodies but I haven't really had a chance to search online yet.

Our '88 and '89 both have FUX springs in the front, and they both sit like 4x4's. If you want to be SURE the car ends up lower in the front, you might invest $100 in a set of Suspension Techniques springs for the front.

I also have a set of 96 Monte Z34 F41/FE3 springs I'd sell for next to nothing, although I'm not sure if it would lower the car any considering they were designed for the heavier 3.4 DOHC engine.

On the rear spring, I don't know which is the best, but I have an RHH rear spring on my Turbo Grand Prix and it doesn't sit like a 4x4, yet the rear spring is plenty firm as well.

As for the tires, yeah, 225/60R16 is pretty close to the stock optional tire. In 1988, the optional tire was actually 215/60R16, but 225/60 is pretty close. That is, if 16" wheels were actually even available in 88... Cutlass didn't get them till 89 and I'm not sure on the GP's. Anyway, I've seen low profile tires on 16", and it really looks goofy - looks like tiny wheels in a big wheel well. Looks as silly as when people put car wheels on a truck. If you want a lower profile tire, I think you should move up to 17" and try 245/45R17. You can actually get those old-school Mooneyes hubcaps you like in 17".

I know of 2 cars locally with FUX springs up front and the ride height is just right. Have any recent pics of the front end of either car? I have FWM FE1 springs up front and ride height is a little less, barely, than the cars with the FUX

Hey Hippie, what forums do you screw around in on CT?

'61-'64, Chit Chat and Performance mainly. I sneak into some of the others occasionally when nobody's lookin'. I'm not Hippie there though, didn't think to use it back when I signed up there. I don't exactly look like one anymore but even though my hair's short now I still got it all :D . I use my real name over there. I'm a "Super Senior Member" with over 3,000 posts and I'm trying to convert a '62 Impala SS into a bubbletop with a 496 Rat; 700R4 and 4.33 12 Bolt posi if that helps tell you who I am.

I know of 2 cars locally with FUX springs up front and the ride height is just right. Have any recent pics of the front end of either car? I have FWM FE1 springs up front and ride height is a little less, barely, than the cars with the FUX

This is not so recent, but you can see the 4x4 stance.

myolds-990604-5.jpg

Both cars pretty much sit like that.

I guess it depends on your definition of what ride height is "just right".

To me, ride height is too tall if there is greater gap at the top of the wheel opening than at the sides near the bottom. In this pic, the gap at the top is many times greater than the gaps at the sides.

I've seen low profile tires on 16", and it really looks goofy - looks like tiny wheels in a big wheel well. Looks as silly as when people put car wheels on a truck. If you want a lower profile tire, I think you should move up to 17" and try 245/45R17. You can actually get those old-school Mooneyes hubcaps you like in 17".

I know I can get 16" X 7" steel wheels to fit the GP but haven't come across 17's yet. Actually I would prefer the 17's if I could find 'em in steel. I know what you mean about too short a tire though, I prefer to fill the wheel well as much as possible height wise, I don't like lookin' at the inner fenderwells. On old cars like my Impala I like lots of sidewall, that's what I grew up with, but on new cars lots of wheel. Even if it is "old school" rolling stock :wink: .

Found ya Glen. My name there is 66Cadrolet, as it is most everywhere else on the Net. That and god910, I am pro-streeting a 66 C-20 Custom Camper. Cadillac 509" Full Rear Tub w/ 31x18.5x15 M/T Sportsman pro's. Engine to be dyno'd next week. (HopeFully) You will find this board alot more relaxed than CT, not so much "Family Oriented" and ads aren't AS strict. But as I have found w/ all other vehicles, it's all I need to do is change a valve cover gasket, next thing I know, I have a 3.8 Series 2 Turbo sitting on the garage floor, waiting for a tranny. :oops: Oh well, you know how it is.

Found ya Glen. I have found w/ all other vehicles, it's all I need to do is change a valve cover gasket, next thing I know, I have a 3.8 Series 2 Turbo sitting on the garage floor, waiting for a tranny. :oops: Oh well, you know how it is.

Give that man a ceegar! :D That be me, I know what you mean about vehicles. I bought a '91 Accord EX from the guy down the street for a winter beater next thing you know I have 2 of 'em. Both are 5 speeds though and I'm old and lazy and beatin' one back and forth everyday in traffic just ain't as much fun as it was 20-30 years ago. So I snagged the GP, it's no cream puff but it has some potential and I couldn't touch a tranny rebuild for what I got the car for so if nothing else I might shop for a little nicer one with a grenaded trans and use this one for parts. Brand new rehaul by an ASE Certified Tech with new converter. We'll have to see how bad the wife reacts when I finally bring it home. :shock:

This is not so recent, but you can see the 4x4 stance.

Both cars pretty much sit like that.

I guess it depends on your definition of what ride height is "just right".

To me, ride height is too tall if there is greater gap at the top of the wheel opening than at the sides near the bottom. In this pic, the gap at the top is many times greater than the gaps at the sides.

I see what you mean. Here's mine with the Regal rear spring, no aux springs, and front FWM. paint3_009.jpg

[quote name="Brian P

I see what you mean. Here's mine with the Regal rear spring' date=' no aux springs, and front FWM. paint3_009.jpg

That IS "just right", at least that's what I'm shooting for, may have a different solution though, see my post on "Fair price for an '89 GP SE". From the pics I have of the SE I'm looking at it sits pretty decent as is.