oil pressure

mediabandit

ok so i just saw something very disturbing.

i was driving along and all of a sudden my oil pressure gauge went crazy.the needle started jumping from the 550 mark (which is all the way to the right)where it always sits.back and forth to the center which is at about 275.then finally came to rest at the 550 mark again.i tryed to take some video of it,but by the time i got the phone out and went to record it,it stopped.wtf!!!???? is causing this?is it the oil pump that is going or is it something else.i have a long trip planned and want to make sure this is fixed.please help!!

also i should mention it is a 1991 lumina Z34 3.4l,automatic...and the oil was changed in it about 2900kms ago.

have you checked your oil level?

Mines fine. It needs to be changed soon, but ever since I got the car, the oil pressure was always crazy like that. Even after swapping in different clusters.

Mines fine. It needs to be changed soon, but ever since I got the car, the oil pressure was always crazy like that. Even after swapping in different clusters.

Its not that hard to do, If I remember right, its right next to the oil filter on a 3.1. this time, When I took it to the shop to replace my coils last week I had them replace that while they had it, now it finally reads likfe its supposed to

Its not that hard to do, If I remember right, its right next to the oil filter on a 3.1. this time, When I took it to the shop to replace my coils last week I had them replace that while they had it, now it finally reads likfe its supposed to

yes i checked the oil....first thing i did,lol i am not that much of a newb,lmao

i have a 3.4dohc in it,so does anyone know where that sending unit is located on that engine?and has anyone replaced one?and how much was it(ballpark)

thanks guys.

units are about $20. you can do it yourself, but may need to buy and oil sender socket for... $8??? should be next to the filter on the 3.4 and 3.1 On the 3100, it is right above the starter, about 8 inches to the right of the oil filter.

units are about $20. you can do it yourself, but may need to buy and oil sender socket for... $8??? should be next to the filter on the 3.4 and 3.1 On the 3100, it is right above the starter, about 8 inches to the right of the oil filter.

sweet,thanks...i am going to go pick one up later on today then.i will put it on the first chance i get.so $20.00 will probably be $40.00 here,lol i just paid $39.99 for my o2 sensor ffs!thanks for the help guys,appreciated as always.

I uploaded a pic from my Service Manual. It's near the bottom-right on the pic circled in red.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

as the front of the engineis closest to the firewall....then yes it is the front view of the engine in that pic.becasue the oil filter is basicly on the passenger side of the engine if you are looking at it from the drivers view.

? I'm not sure what you're considering to be the front of the engine. To me, the front of the engine is towards the front of the car. The oil filter is therefore on the front of the engine and that pic is therefore a side view from the passenger's side.

the front of an engine is the side with the belts pulls and all, in our cars the front is thus on the passenger side, and the right side is the literal front. the pic shows the side perspective of where it has been described to be. any questions?