Got me a few problems

leman

Hi everyone, First time here. Well i just purchased a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix Le 4 door for the first time last week. I am having a few problems with it that i cannot seem to figure out. 1st off I have a basic Cluster in my dash, ( only has a gas guage,speedometer,temperatre guage, and an information thing that looks like the car itself on the left side of the cluster. On my cluster the speedometer works ok, as well does the gas guage and the temp guage. the gas guage seems to fluctuate when i take corners, but the odometer wont turn nor does the trip meter. Yesterday i removed the face to gain access to the trip meter and saw that all gears were ok in there. When i spin the motor by hand the numbers move. I noticed that the motor that runs the odometer has a small 4 pin plug. is there a way to test the motor to see if its good or not. I am able to get a used cluster around where i live for about $40-$50, but they all seem to have a tachometer in them for the same year and model of car. Is it possible to just get one with a tachometer and plug it in and it will work, or would i have to do something to get the tach to work. Also I have a low coolant idiot light or a temp light thats on in the cluster, ( Its always on ) Coolant is full in rad and overflow bottle and the temp never goes above normall and fans come on when they are suppose to.

Thanks to everyone that can offer guidence.

ok welcome to the forum :mrgreen: First offget the cluster with tach. It may already have the pin in the connector, and if it doesnt it is only one wire to hook up. 2nd the coolant light. Take off the coolant reservoir and clean it well with mild soap and warm water, and when you fill up the coolant fill it about an inch over the full mark. Sometimes that is necessary

is there a sensor in the reservoir, from what i have been told, the sensor is mounted on the rad about 4 inches down from the filler cap. also the cluster with the tach the pin connector your talking about , what is it, also what will it connect to and is it a big job. does it matter that my shifter is on the collum and not on the center console. because i was worried about the small guage that moves when you move the shifter from park to drive or where ever.

the odometer and trip not working is a very common problem with the grand prix clusters, however i'm not too sure if there is a way to fix it.

now as far as upgrading to the "sport" cluster with the tach, batt, gauge, etc. i believe it requires changeing around the wires in the harness for it, but i could be wrong there, but you will have to run a wire for the tachometer to work, as well as install a different oil pressure sending unit so the gauge works.

as far as the low coolant light, the sending unit that you speak of on the side of the radiator. it is just held in with small U shaped metal clip, i'd take it out and clean it or replace it.

Ok so what i am understanding for the coolant low sensor. Is that the only on there is, is on the side of the rad and not in the cooland reservoir. And if i want to be able to just unplug my current cluster and just plug another one in, i need to find one identicle to what i have now. As if i go with the one with the tach i will have to rewire the plug that plugs into the cluster as well as wire up the tach. What does the wire for the tach go to. Sorry for asking so many question but i dont what to buy something that i cannot use , or replace something that does not need replacing. Or shorting out something that will cause me more money and problems.

And for the gas gauge fluxuating like that, it's not a huge deal. It's quite annoying actually. But the only thing you can do to solve it is fill her up!!!

My Lumina did that whenever it would get at around 1/4 a tank.

Thanks guys for the info, got it all figured out now, turns out the cluster in the dash was screwed, replaced it and everything is working now, temp light is off ,odometer works. so, so far so good. But have another question 4 you all, car is leaking oil some where. most of the saturation of oil seems to be on the drivers side on the top of the tranny and running down over the front of the starter. I did notice that there were some some holes in the oil pan which i have sice fixed and now it's not leaking from there. all i can say is that i am almost 100% shure it on the drivers side of the motor.

All help is welcomed

thanks Leman

If you guys can figure out what it is and have any pic's to go with also that would be cool and make fixing and locating easier. As this is my first time with a 3.1 v6 engine. Dont know to much about them. last car was a 4 cyclinder sunbird and cavalier and i knew it from top to bottom...

Thanks

That would be the oil pump drive seal that is the cause of your oil leak.

If you look under the throttle body you will see a circle that is aprox. the size of a 50 cent piece. and there is a clamp holding it down with one bolt. I believe you have to remove the throttle body to gain access to it. Stop by your local GM parts department and tell them you need a oil pump drive seal, it will run you about $2.50. anyhow with that clamp removed you can pull the whole thing out with a pair of pliers and you will see the old seal is all worn out, replace that and you will be good to go.

thanks for the info on the seal, i thought i would be able to get this part at the local Napa, or Canadian tire , or another parts store but they dont carry them. Dealer part Eh! um after i remove the throttle body i assume i will have to get a new gasket for it also. Is there just the 1 gasket or are there 2. And is there anything else i should be getting to do the job. Other gaskets or O-rings, sealant. And does any one know the exzact part numbers from Gm on these. Also I dunno if my A/c actually works in the car with mt luck probable not, but is there some type of sensor that stops it from turning on when its to cold out. Only asking cause my Girlfriends 95 saturn sc1 won't turn on if its to cold, so i was wondering if my 92 GrandPrix was the same, Or is there a way to check it. beside waiting for it to warm up outside....

thanks

Leman

So i got that o-ring done this morning, not a difficult job. that piece just slid right out. the oil leak is fixed, i was happy about that, but i figured well seeing as i was under the hood i thought i would go get a new pcv valve and change it. well i pull out what i thought was where the pcv would go and all it is, is a piece of plastic hose running from the right hand side of the motor just below the oil fill cap to the rubber flex hose for the air intake box. I was like what the hell did they sell me the wrong size. Ahh well may as well just leave it, but according to my manual its supposed to have one. But i cannot find the bugger. So my question for you all where is the dam thing on my 92 Grand prix. Would like to change it as its probblem the original from 92 haha....

So i got that o-ring done this morning, not a difficult job. that piece just slid right out. the oil leak is fixed, i was happy about that, but i figured well seeing as i was under the hood i thought i would go get a new pcv valve and change it. well i pull out what i thought was where the pcv would go and all it is, is a piece of plastic hose running from the right hand side of the motor just below the oil fill cap to the rubber flex hose for the air intake box. I was like what the hell did they sell me the wrong size. Ahh well may as well just leave it, but according to my manual its supposed to have one. But i cannot find the bugger. So my question for you all where is the dam thing on my 92 Grand prix. Would like to change it as its probblem the original from 92 haha....

It is supposed to be in the Right Side (Rear part of engine bay) Valve Cover. The PCV plugs directly into the valve cover into a rubber gromett on there. It should be on the right side of the valve cover (toward drivers side) and should connect to a black rubber hose. If it ain't there, it might be inline with the hose. I have seen that as well on the GMs, but it should plug into the location I was talking about. I am sure the 3.1 guys will have a pic or something.

not shure what that means (IIRC) ?

= If I Remember Correctly.

as for the AC, it should blow cold whenever you have it on. if not, then it may need recharged.

So the Pcv Valve is on the back of the motor, well sounds like its going to be fun to get at.

Also i am tring to trace the my air condition lines i've located everything except for the condensor that sits normally infront of the rad. Is it in some hidden place on these cars. I can see 2 lines that run into the front of the car on the drivers side right next to the rad, but from there i can not see anything or locate the condensor.

the condenser is in front of the radiator, unless someone removed it for some reason in the cars life.

THants what i kind of figured out, that some one removed it. doubt i will every get it fixed, the clutch turn freely on the pully, but no garanty that the thing even pumps.

On another note, does any one have any experience in hooking up a after market tach as mine does not have one. mounting it in no problem its the connections. Also my speedo did something really weird today. I went and started the car and let it run for a minute, and my speedo pegged out at over 180kh with out even moving. Was maybe thining a bad ground but unshure whre to look or start.

Thanks

So the Pcv Valve is on the back of the motor, well sounds like its going to be fun to get at.

At the back of the motor. Not on the back. It is on the back valve cover. The one closest to the firewall.

On another note, does any one have any experience in hooking up a after market tach as mine does not have one. mounting it in no problem its the connections. Also my speedo did something really weird today. I went and started the car and let it run for a minute, and my speedo pegged out at over 180kh with out even moving. Was maybe thining a bad ground but unshure whre to look or start.

Need a new inst panel. I believe that the plug up is the same if you get the sport or standard model. There shouldn't be any changes to be done. GM just put a full wiring harness into those and plugged up what they needed. All others just got taped off if they were dangling. The exception being the verts because they had their own wiring harness. But then again, they had their own frame as well.

is there some one who can verify that the harness for the base cluster is the same as the harness for the sport cluster less the wire for the tach, as mine does not have a tach. meaning the pins are in the same spot. and is there anything else that i would have to connect to make it work properly. I noticed that when i took out my cluster last week, that there were a set of wires taped up with a plug on it right behind the cluster. Idont remer the color of the wires or how many there were. Also does so one have a picture of what the sport cluster looks like. Just to remind you all my car is a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix LE 4 door sedan...

I can verify that the base and sport cluster are the same. I had the base cluster and swapped out a sport cluster with no mods, just plug and play, EXCEPT that I had to buy a oil pressure sending unit so the oil pressure guage would work correctly. As for the taped up plug, it's probably for the HUD option, I had it in mine, to my delight. I managed to slam in a HUD with a few tweaks.

I can verify that the base and sport cluster are the same. I had the base cluster and swapped out a sport cluster with no mods, just plug and play, EXCEPT that I had to buy a oil pressure sending unit so the oil pressure guage would work correctly. As for the taped up plug, it's probably for the HUD option, I had it in mine, to my delight. I managed to slam in a HUD with a few tweaks.

Hey boss455 do you have some pics of the sport cluster and of the HUD would be curious on what they look like. Also do you have the pic of your old cluster..?

Well today i have two new leaks, one is coolant and from what i can tell its the metal hose thats on top of the water pump and runs down the passenger's side under the overflow jug. its an all metal line. Could i just cut out the bad section and put in a rubber line..? or clean the rust of that spot and braise it or solder it or something to that effect. Also have engine oil leaking from the front engine mount under the car. I cannot telll where its leaking from up above that can't seem to be able to see up there. Any ideas. I did have that O-ring problem and fixed it and its not leaking from there anymore. And something else my car is running a a bit ruff. seems to miss when idling put new plugs in it already and changed the air filter, and when the motor is cold and you go to excelerate it misses like its out of fuel but does not stall, and when you go to excelerate hard it has a hesitation then it goes. All help is welcomed..

Thanks

you can cut and splice the metal line with rubber hose.

have you changed the fuel filter? located beneath the car on the drivers side near the tank?

you should remove the iac and egr valves and clean out the ports for both of them with good carb cleaners and a brush.

Ya i think i will do just that with the coolant line, and take and clean the iac and the egr, is it ok to clean the iac with carb cleaner, and blast the carb cleaner right down inside the pintle for the iac..? have no idea what the underside of the egr looks like, but i am guessing i can blast the carb cleaner all on the under side of it to. Also i guess i will have to get a new gasket for the egr.? How many gaskets are there on the egr, i think just one from what i can tell as the gasket looks pretty bad shape almost like heat really got at it. But i still have that crappy oil leak. it only semms to leak oil after i drive it for a bit, theres a goood size wet spot underneath it, and when i go to stop at the store or something like that, there's always spots left on the ground. and its all on the passenger side of the motor. umm the feul filter on these cars are they like the ones with the nut on both ends or is it the newer style with plastic type line and those plastic fitings, if so how do you remove those fitting if you dont have the tool for it.?