Old 91 Lumina + 1500 mile road trip = ?

mra32

So heres the story. I have a 1991 base lumina. Its got the 3 speed transmission with the overdrive disabled (since it was locking up). Ive got 74,000 miles on it and honestly, in the last year or two, its been getting worse mechanically. I guess thats a little bit of neglect from me. Now I need to drive from Philadelphia to Detroit for the Formula SAE Competition. (actually its Romeo, MI. at ford's proving ground) Its somewhere around 600-700 miles to get there. I'll have 3 passengers and not that much luggage. Its all interstate driving and we'll probably be going somewhere around 65 the whole way. I want to make sure my car will be in good working order for the trip.

I think the longest trip I've taken in my car has been between 100 and 200 miles to the destination. I just want to make sure that my car is fully prepared to go on this trip.

I plan on doing the spark plugs and the wires, pcv valve, oxygen sensors, oil change, and air filter. That should cover the engine. I dont know if i should worry about the suspension. The rear struts are like completely dead, but I figure thats not toooo bad of a problem for mostly highway driving. The front tires are about 2 years old and dont have that many miles on them, maybe 10k. I'm not too sure about the rears. I'll have to check them. The steering rack pops and clicks and the works, but that doesnt worry me. I keep having thoughts that the trailing arms are gonna bust on the highway and i'm gonna lose control. I should check them.

Also my parking brake doesnt work. This might be a good time to fix it.

The alternator isnt very strong, but its been this way for quite some time. I'm not too worried about this either.

One issue i'd like to work out is my headlight assembly. the one headlight appears to be off a hinge or missing a screw, or something like that, since using the adjuster torx screws in the back doesnt really do anything and the headlight is way off. I suppose, i'll just go at it and see whats up with it.

Basically this thread is asking for suggestions about what to check/replace for a trip like this. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about your car, but have you ever changed the trans fluid?

Take the headlight assembly apart. I am sure you will find something broke.

I don't know how you even drive that thing if you have blown rear struts. How do the wheels stay on the ground long enough to allow you to turn? LOL!

Check all fluids, steering, brakes, make sure you got enough brake pads. Windshield wipers, get rainx on the windshield. I find that scraping bugs off is easier with that on there.

Make sure you take a roll of TP. You just never know. :lol:

Your like 10 miles from my house!!!

I knew i would be travelling to the land of the W-Body owners. So you'll be willing to lend a hand if i hit some trouble, right? :lol:

I have my reservations about changing trans fluid. I think the trans fluid was changed about 2 years ago. the gasket around the oil pan-thing on the trans had to be replaced, so i'm guessing the the fluid had to be changed as well. At least thats what I'm told. I havent had any trans problems since then. I think today will be a maintenance day on the lumina, if we dont go driving the racecar!

You will be passing within 10 minutes of my place, so if you have any problems around Pittsburgh, I ought to be around.

Change the fuel filter, clean your throttle body, and Seafoam the car.

This will lead to some major improvements in gas mileage.. we all could use that!

Change the fuel filter, clean your throttle body, and Seafoam the car.

This will lead to some major improvements in gas mileage.. we all could use that!

I know seafoam is sometimes a touchy subject with this forum, but I couldnt find where to buy this stuff. Any Ideas?

Also, I was planning on changing the fuel filter, but autozone was out of them. But, Im not sure how it would improve fuel economy, maybe reduce the strain on the fuel pump. I dunno, if you could explain, that would be good.

Another thing. I was planning on replacing the battery and I really hate the side terminals of the battery I have, could I just replace it with another that has terminals on the top? Are there any part numbers or specifications that I need to know?

Check your local auto parts stores for seafoam... they should have it, but if not, most gas stations have it also. If you've never seafoamed your car before, I HIGHLY recommend you buytwo cans of seafoam.

Ok, this is a little off topic, but the hotel I will be staying at is:

Homestead Studio Suites Detroit - Auburn Hills

3315 University Dr.

Auburn Hills, MI 48326

So I will be going from the Hotel to Ford Proving ground in Romeo MI and back daily. You people in the area should look out for my car, haha. I'll be pretty busy all week, but i'll see if we can get a meet in. I'll have my computer, but internet may be sketchy. We'll see.

Ok, this is a little off topic, but the hotel I will be staying at is:

Homestead Studio Suites Detroit - Auburn Hills

3315 University Dr.

Auburn Hills, MI 48326

So I will be going from the Hotel to Ford Proving ground in Romeo MI and back daily. You people in the area should look out for my car, haha. I'll be pretty busy all week, but i'll see if we can get a meet in. I'll have my computer, but internet may be sketchy. We'll see.

Wow, your down the street from Matt's old apt!

I wouldn't worry too much. If your fluids are pretty up to date, the only thing I see dying is the alternator. Just bc it conks out at the worst times, but no biggie