mediabandit

ok guys i have a few questions and am looking to all the lumina Z34 owners for some responses.(others are welcome to answer as well but i would like to hear from experience on your own car)

first of all i would like to know if there was anyone out there that has found a set of headers that will work on the Z.and if so from where?

also i was wondering what is the best chip you have found and tested for the Z with an auto tranny,what the improvement was,and where to purchase that chip?

i was also wondering if there is any difference if i add the 180degree thermostat like everyone is talking about?(i have a new one but need to know where to drill the holes,so if you have a pic,that would be great)

the next thing is there anyone who has put a shift kit on their Z? if so any improvement? what make kit? from where?

also...i was wondering if anyone has a chilton or hayes repair manual for the '91 lumina z34?is it helpful? (i am new to the w-body and 60degree motor thing).if so,would you like to sell it?can't find them around here...and i hate ebay.

well i guess for now that is about all i have to say,hopefully i am not asking questions that are too dumb,or repetitive.don't want everyone on the forum hating me.lol :wink:

so thanks in advance for any and all help you guys can provide.

1 - no headers. anywhere.

2 - best chip was FFP, but now i dunno since they are out of business.

3 - 180 t-stat is just overall good for the engine, runs it a little cooler. pic below of where i drilled mine.

4 - shift kit. i know there was one, cant remember if its available anymore. quicker shifts, less wear on trans. not for the person who wants a cushy ride.

5 - any manual should be helpful since you are new the car. any auto parts store can order it for you, just ask.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Nice Z, looks well taken care of.

What are the holes in the thermostat for? A little extra bleed?

Wasn't there some guy that was making custom 60degree V6 headers?

thewre's a guy at 60degreeV6.com making custom chips named ben. Custom made to your specs. :high5:

Ben at 60º V6 made those chips. He still makes them, just not through FFP.

As far as a shift kit goes, you can get an adjustable vacuum modulator which'd pretty much do the same thing.

Milzy makes headers for the 96+ LQ1, but.. Milzy in general is a topic that doesn't need to be delved into. The only pre-96 headers that have ever existed were custom made and are/were on Tony's Z34.

1 - no headers. anywhere.

3 - 180 t-stat is just overall good for the engine, runs it a little cooler. pic below of where i drilled mine.

4 - shift kit. i know there was one, cant remember if its available anymore. quicker shifts, less wear on trans. not for the person who wants a cushy ride.

5 - any manual should be helpful since you are new the car. any auto parts store can order it for you, just ask.

ok so the thermostat holes....do they go all the way through or just through the first layer of tin?

i will check the forum at 60degreev6.com for that chip then.

i will also see what i can find out about the adjustable vacuum modulator.

headers...well then i guess i am shit out of luck if tony(whoever that is,lol) is the only one with them.anyone know if he is still around somewhere?

thanks for all the info guys,i appreciate it.

as for the manual i was hoping someone had an extra one kicking around cuz i know it will cost me about $30.00+tax here if i get the shop to order me one...but oh well.i need it.

and also thanks for the comment about how good the car looks.it has over 300,000kms on it and only seen 1 day of winter driving.i look forward to doing lots to it.it works great and hasn't given me any problems so far.

I have Ben's 60* chip. I absolutely love it. He promises around 8hp on a stock motor, i believe him. I gained 2 tenths exactly with it, in the same weather, plus it's a breeze to put in.

Tony's name is 5speedZ34, yes he is still here.

ok so i am on 60degreev6.com right now about to order the chip.

what i wanted to know is if there will be any benefit from changing the rev limits?or should i just keep them stock because i have not done anything to the engine yet.

91-93 3.4 DOHC Performance Chip

4 Letter BCC Code: ---

EGR: On

Engine: 3.4 DOHC

Rev Limiter In Gear: Stock

Rev Limiter P/N: Stock

Speed Limiter (MPH): Stock

Thermostat Used: 180

Transmission: 4 speed auto

Year: 1991

that is the same chip you have?

i will have to keep my eye open for 5speedZ34 then i would like to see what he can tell me about a set of headers.thanks

(at first i though it was you but your screen name is a little different,lol)

headers...well then i guess i am shit out of luck if tony(whoever that is,lol) is the only one with them.anyone know if he is still around somewhere?

He's a tool! LOL

His headers are good, they just need to be worked a bit more. And then tuned, majorly.

As for a shift kit, my 4t60e had one installed. Ask anyone that rode in it, there WAS a shift kit.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TRANSGO_4T60E_SHIFT_KIT_1991_99_p/500-000037936.htm

You could also shim the accumulator which will result in firmer shifts, but I don't necessarily recommend it.

He's a tool! LOL

His headers are good, they just need to be worked a bit more. And then tuned, majorly.

As for a shift kit, my 4t60e had one installed. Ask anyone that rode in it, there WAS a shift kit.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TRANSGO_4T60E_SHIFT_KIT_1991_99_p/500-000037936.htm

You could also shim the accumulator which will result in firmer shifts, but I don't necessarily recommend it.

well i sent him a PM asking him for any info he had on them,so we'll see.

so did you find that shift kit made a difference?(other then it ridding rougher that is,lol)?

Shifts were firmer, more solid. Not sloppy like stock. I'm sure my accumulator was shimmed as well, my dash shook on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I could chirp tires during each shift also if I was going full throttle. But... just rebuild the trans and do it all at once- 3.73 gearing, high stall convertor, and shift kit.

Tony doesn't have any build info on the headers. They were on the car when he purchased it. He can take pictures all day long though.

That is the same type of chip i have, mine is tuned differantly though...

EGR-off

5 speed

Rev limiter-none

Speed limiter-150

Stock T-stat

Shifts were firmer, more solid. Not sloppy like stock. I'm sure my accumulator was shimmed as well, my dash shook on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I could chirp tires during each shift also if I was going full throttle. But... just rebuild the trans and do it all at once- 3.73 gearing, high stall convertor, and shift kit.

Tony doesn't have any build info on the headers. They were on the car when he purchased it. He can take pictures all day long though.

cool,thanks for the info.i will look into rebuilding it and doing it all at once like you suggest,thanks..

and btw....LMAO :burnout: LMAO at "He Can Take Pictures All Day Long"

EGR-off

5 speed

Rev limiter-none

Speed limiter-150

Stock T-stat

did you have any problems by turning the egr off?

EGR-off

5 speed

Rev limiter-none

Speed limiter-150

Stock T-stat

Slight loss in gas mileage, you definately won't pass emissions.

EGR-off

5 speed

Rev limiter-none

Speed limiter-150

Stock T-stat

Slight loss in gas mileage, you definately won't pass emissions.

not too worried about the loss of gas mileage.i definetly don't drive this thing for the good mileage,lmao..and i don't pass emissions now with the freeflow exhaust anyway.luckily they don't test for that here yet.thanks for the info though.

Well my EGR was bad anyways so that is why i turned it off, plus we don't have emissions here, and i still get 30mpg on the highway at 70mph. In town is a differant story...