Dash speaker grills.

kuwaitliberation

My dash speaker grills had some cloth on it that had faded over time. I have done re-covers before, and I decided to do it today on these. Here is how I get it done, just to share an easy tip:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought some ladies' trouser socks that were 90% nylon and 10% spandex. With the spandex, they are much harder to rip. The trouser socks are relatively thick and stretch easily over the plastic cover. You can attach it one of several ways. You can go with the original and trim it just right and glue it down. You can put the plastic cover inside the sock and sew the toe to the top band (this is what I did). I am sure there are a ton of ways to attach it, but the point is, just attach it.

I didn't cut out holes for the plastic pegs that you use to secure the grill to the dash. I just screwed right over those.

Here are a couple of pics that I am attaching so you can see.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Hmmm....I've never been able to get my cutlass' grils off without taking the dash pad off. I've been to woried about breaking them.

Hmmm....I've never been able to get my cutlass' grils off without taking the dash pad off. I've been to woried about breaking them.

My second pic is my dash pad standing upright in my living room :lol: Each grill has 5 nuts holding them to the dash pad.

Yea, I go with the panty hose idea because nylon coloring can stand up better than cotton coloring and women like their panty hose. They make them in about 500 different colors. You can pretty much match your interior down to the perfect shade if you really hunted for the color.

The trouser socks with the spandex pretty much makes them rip-stop so you don't have those "runners" that you get with normal hose. Plus, they only cost like a couple bucks, so if you get tired of the color, they do fade or get torn you can replace them without buyer's remorse. It takes 10 screws to get the dash pad off. No big deal, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that include buying a new car?

No. Suspension. Folding top. lights. carpet. seats. re-paint. wheels. tires. fuel delivery system (this is an interesting topic). window tint. That stuff alone could probably count about 100 things alone. Not to mention that the steering wheel A/C controls don't work. Just a pile of little things that I am going to do. This is one of the cheaper things I am doing. $2.50 and some labor costs of sweat ain't bad. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy speaker grill cloth at most any fabric store. It's pretty cheap.

Yea, but you don't get to walk through the ladies lingere department doing it that way, either, do you? :lol:

I'd prefer something more OEM in appearance and feel.

probably looks close to the same, besides, who's going to be looking at your speaker covers going OMG IT'S NOT STOCK!!11?

Btw, My blue covers were purple when I got my car (sat on a farm for 2 years, was beaten to hell by the sun) and I tried to dye them back to the original color...that doesn't work at all just so that you guys know..