seatbelt light

rockfangd

so as you all know i have brought up this issue before. I looked into taking off the latch and when i took it off i tested the latch to see if it was working properly and it was, When the belt is off the circuit is open and when the belt is on the circuit is closed. My first question is. is it positive or negative. What i did is connect a wire to a ground,turned the key on and touched the wire to each of the latch pins, the cluster light did not illuminate. I have changed the bulb in the cluster twice and i even changed the cluster, what could possibly make this not work. I just do not understand this but i cant overlook this because it has to perfect, someone please give me some ideas. I already outruled it as being the latch

oh yeah its a 1994 olds cutlass supreme s. Also if it helps, when i probe the 2 pin connector for the latch clip side facing upwards left tested positive whether the key was on or off, and the right side tested positive only when the key is on. Now i am baffled because i dont think it is supposed to be like that. The wire feels fine but i do not know what could be the problem. My haynes manual did not help at all :frown:

First thing to do is find the pinout on the plug going into the cluster for the light. See if the current to it changes with the grounding of the circuit. If it doesnt, there is a short inbetween it and the plug at the seatbelt. Probly in the rail wiring harness thats right under the door jamb going up under the dash. Just a matter of matching colors of wires and testing them in diferent spots looking for diferent currents, or a complete change. It might have gotten grounded by someone that screwed in the trim panal incorrectly..

possibly. Thank you. The harness runs on the driver side correct? unfortunately it hasnt worked since i got the car a few years ago.it may sound kind of funny but everything has to be perfect. I know that the seatbelt light wire at the cluster is yellow but i cannot rememberr if it is ground or positive. I know that when the belt is off that it completes the circuit. I am thinking that it is supposed to be ground but that somehow a positive is feeding through the wrong side or something :willynilly: