89oldscutlass

How do you hook up the after market tachs to our car engines.I know on the old ones you just run them to the distributer cap.The reason why i ask is that my SL just has the plain cluster and i dont want to put the 6 cluster digital gauge set in it .My plain cutlass does have it so i want to put a big after market tach in the SL to give it a meaner more sporty look in side.

Heres what I did: I used the power wire from the under hood light, cuz its always hot, used the ground off of that too, and wired the light wire to the head light controls. Then for the tach signal wire, there is a white wire in a bundle under your coils. Splice into that and viola!! Youre done. If you have any questions, let me know.

Robby

no the easier way is to tap into the aldl orange wire i kno cause i have a 89 cutty sl so it is easier that way trust me i tried the white wire bullshit from the coil packs it doesn't work so do the orange wire from the aldl

jeremy

no the easier way is to tap into the aldl orange wire i kno cause i have a 89 cutty sl so it is easier that way trust me i tried the white wire bullshit from the coil packs it doesn't work so do the orange wire from the aldl

jeremy

Dont listen to Jeremy, he's talking out of his ass..... :wink: :wink:

Robby

Hi, I posted to this earlier but I don't see it now. Must have screwed up. I put a full digital cluster in my Regal last month.

Anyway, the white wire is for analog, orange wire is for digital. You can find the white wire in the connector bundle for the dash cluster. Mine was a Regal base digital but it had the white tach wire for the analog gages in the cluster connector.

So if you want to find it inside the car, it's easy to take the dash pad off, snip or splice into the "Correct" white wire from the connector bundle and run it to your tach.

This assumes your car was wired with the same redundancy that my Regal was. Oh by the way, the orange wire from the ALDL is a bi-directional serial data line from the ECM.