Ahhh! Rust! Pics, what can I do?/Body kit brackets

Dark Ride

This is the worst visible body rust on my TGP and I want to keep it that way, what can I do to get rid of it?

Also, I need Body Kit Brackets and Hangars what is my best bet for getting new ones, I bet GM doesn't carry them and if they did it would cost a fortune.

04-19-07_1507.jpg

04-19-07_1510.jpg

04-19-07_1511.jpg

So what should I do?

thats where my SE is rusting too, I need the same hangar too, I think the best bet would be to see if a body shop would have any. a dealer would probably have them too, but you would prolly have to pay out the ass to get them

a body shop could sandblast and fix that rust for you,and they could also fabricate you the bracket.be way better then having to go to the dealer for one.but if you could find a door that is the same color it would save you from having that one blasted,bondoed and painted.good luck

Its both doors right under the emblem, but it doesn't look like its penetrated the door completely, you can't see it on the inside sheet metal of the door. I was thinking of maybe just sanding most of the rust off and using some of that rust encapsulator/primer to cover it up. Then next year paint over everything.

thats where my SE is rusting too, I need the same hangar too, I think the best bet would be to see if a body shop would have any. a dealer would probably have them too, but you would prolly have to pay out the ass to get them

For hangars I was thinking, Its just bent sheet metal, its the same as the stuff we worked with in Intro to Metals, why not just make some new stuff? Would a body shop have some universal stuff we could use?

a body shop could sandblast and fix that rust for you,and they could also fabricate you the bracket.be way better then having to go to the dealer for one.but if you could find a door that is the same color it would save you from having that one blasted,bondoed and painted.good luck

If I can get the brackets, I think that I could take care of the rust, I've never done it before but, it'll mostly be under the Ground effect so it'll cover up my mistakes. I doubt I'll find a good door and if I do it'll be halfway across the country and cost an arm and a leg to ship. You think a body shop could come up with the brackets?

Its both doors right under the emblem, but it doesn't look like its penetrated the door completely, you can't see it on the inside sheet metal of the door. I was thinking of maybe just sanding most of the rust off and using some of that rust encapsulator/primer to cover it up. Then next year paint over everything.

For hangars I was thinking, Its just bent sheet metal, its the same as the stuff we worked with in Intro to Metals, why not just make some new stuff? Would a body shop have some universal stuff we could use?

They probably would have some type of universal style retainer. For the rust, I think I'm gonna remove the paint around the rust and por15 the rust area, on mine the rust is right at the top of the B4U door piece and goes the length of the door in little spots, but a bodyshop would be able to do it too, but it would be cheaper to prep the car for paint as much as you can, then have them spray it

They probably would have some type of universal style retainer. For the rust, I think I'm gonna remove the paint around the rust and por15 the rust area, on mine the rust is right at the top of the B4U door piece and goes the length of the door in little spots, but a bodyshop would be able to do it too, but it would be cheaper to prep the car for paint as much as you can, then have them spray it

Once I completely finish everything with the car (new hood, valence, Ground Effects) I'm gonna to either have a shop give it a nice coat of red again, or My dad has a brand new paint sprayer hes never used, I might try that.

this is just my opinion,so don't take offense to it.try and make the brackets yourself (if you think you can).you are right about buying a door too,you will probably end up spending alot more then it woul;d cost to have the work all done at a bodyshop.you can even do the bodywork yourself if you want,but bodywork is not as easy as it looks....if you want it done right that is.and as for you spraying the car with your fathers spray gun...well i don't recomend that at all,unless you have done it a few times before,or if he is a sprayer himself.but either route you take to get it done...good luck to you.

this is just my opinion,so don't take offense to it.try and make the brackets yourself (if you think you can).you are right about buying a door too,you will probably end up spending alot more then it woul;d cost to have the work all done at a bodyshop.you can even do the bodywork yourself if you want,but bodywork is not as easy as it looks....if you want it done right that is.and as for you spraying the car with your fathers spray gun...well i don't recomend that at all,unless you have done it a few times before,or if he is a sprayer himself.but either route you take to get it done...good luck to you.

My dad used to be a mechanic, he fixed up wrecked cars all the time, but the one thing he never did was body work, He was scared of it I guess. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on how to do bodywork right, and a spot like this shouldn't be too bad, and like I said I'll be able to cover it up anyway, as long as I stop the rust from spreading. I'm not saying I think its easy, its just that I'm determined :mrgreen:. That and I can't afford to have a body shop do it.

As for paint, If I decide that I do want to do it myself, which I really don't know yet, I know it very easy to screw up and very hard to fix. My dad has an old Geo Tracker thats pink that he wants to paint any color other than pink, maybe I'll try painting that first since he doesn't care how it looks as long as its not pink.

bah that's just surface rust. If you want to, you could sand that down yourself and then spray it with some primer.

I was hoping someone would tell me it was that easy. :biggrin:

bah that's just surface rust. If you want to, you could sand that down yourself and then spray it with some primer.

I was hoping someone would tell me it was that easy. :biggrin:

don't quote me on that.....but my neighbor did that to his old S10 with the surface rust he had and it seemed to work

like someone else mentioned it might not be a bad idea to find some rust free doors

x2.

I would go that route, before messing with bondo and stuff, or have a shop do it.

I've already got bondo and paint, so it won't hurt to try. I appreciate the input, I think I'll try to get rid of the rust on my doors and see if I can find some hangars for it. I'll keep you posted on how that works.

Thanks, Mitch

I've already got bondo and paint, so it won't hurt to try. I appreciate the input, I think I'll try to get rid of the rust on my doors and see if I can find some hangars for it. I'll keep you posted on how that works.

Thanks, Mitch

whatever you do get some type of rust inhibitor on there, such as por-15 or whatever else you choose, don;t just spray bomb it with primer

First, I'd poke at it with a screwdriver just to make SURE there are no holes. If there are holes, I'd replace the door. Then get a 3M rust removing wheel on a drill. It's a black spongy looking disc, sort of resembles a sea sponge in material, but it's very abrasive. Use that to physically remove as much rust as possible. Then coat it several times with phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly) to attempt to chemically etch away as much rust as possible (this will also work well as metal prep). After that, put a rust inhibitor like POR-15 or that stuff Brian P linked to a few months ago that's supposed to be better. Then Bondo on top of that, sand smooth, prime, paint.

First, I'd poke at it with a screwdriver just to make SURE there are no holes. If there are holes, I'd replace the door. Then get a 3M rust removing wheel on a drill. It's a black spongy looking disc, sort of resembles a sea sponge in material, but it's very abrasive. Use that to physically remove as much rust as possible. Then coat it several times with phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly) to attempt to chemically etch away as much rust as possible (this will also work well as metal prep). After that, put a rust inhibitor like POR-15 or that stuff Brian P linked to a few months ago that's supposed to be better. Then Bondo on top of that, sand smooth, prime, paint.

Thanks, I'm going to do just that :cool:

for things like that i perfer to use a die grinder with a scotch-brite pad wheel, works wonders for knocking off rust. then lightly coat it in POR15, and use some good filler (read: NOT bondo brand) get it smooth, and repaint.

so for the brackets, i'd check the TGP forums for brackets.

so for the brackets, i'd check the TGP forums for brackets.

I thought about seeing if I could get a set of brackets off another TGP, but think of the work that would involve, they're popped riveted like 20 times on each side, and probably would still be junk anyway. There's a really big body shop around here, maybe I'll go see if I can buy just body kit hangars from them.