Custom Hood Release?

NVMY03GT

Has anyone figured out an alternative for the Hood Release? Ive done a seatch and so many people replace the handles and the cables on their hood release, is there a way to create an alternative? ie an electronic release? Im not sure how safe that would be but just like the trunk just something to pop it up.

People replace their cables and handles because they're 10 to 19 years old and are brittle or stretched/worn out. An electronic release I think would be a bad idea. Just replace the stock stuff and be done with it.

I customized mine with zip ties and 10 gauge red wire :redface: after the sears mechanic pulled a couple feet of my cable out. Before that some other redneck engineer at the service station had rigged a loop behind the grill. I guess puling on the vice grips attached to the cable inside the car was just too difficult.

Has anyone figured out an alternative for the Hood Release? Ive done a seatch and so many people replace the handles and the cables on their hood release, is there a way to create an alternative? ie an electronic release? Im not sure how safe that would be but just like the trunk just something to pop it up.

With the electronic release, if you lose your battery, you are shite outta luck! I wouldn't even consider that at all. IMO, don't mess with that because they designed that to not fly up in your face while you are driving. That ain't broke. Don't need no fixin right there!

the former owner of my car modded the cable he cut the wire and has it coming out between the drive side grilll and the hood so i dont even need to go into the car to open the hood :thumb:

Yeah, on my old '88. The previous owner had the cable hanging out the bottom of the bumper. The thing opened better than most newer cars. :lol:

Our cable design is horrible, but for the 10 or 20 bucks it costs to replace it its stupid not to.

Good call on the Electronic release HAHA I never thought of it :)

I've considered redoing the stock stuff but trying to find one of those release levers at a junk yard not to mention the headache of putting it in.

I've considered putting a handle under the bumper to pop it but how hill bill does that look? Not to mention how would cover up the previously used one?

It comes WITH the cable. We got one from the dealer back in the day for my Grand Prix.

WHAT?!?!?! You mean to tell me I've been looking int he damn Junkyard for this thing for like 2 weeks now, and $20 it includes the stupid hand and everything?? ARGH!!!!!!!

And do yourself a favor when you get the new cable/handle installed: LUBE UP THE HOOD LATCH REGULARLY! Lack of lubrication on the hood latch is the whole reason the handles break apart in the first place...

And do yourself a favor when you get the new cable/handle installed: LUBE UP THE HOOD LATCH REGULARLY! Lack of lubrication on the hood latch is the whole reason the handles break apart in the first place...

I thought it was my foot dragging along the stupid release lever :)

I thought it was my foot dragging along the stupid release lever :)

Well alright, 9 times out of 10 anyway...

Our cable design is horrible, but for the 10 or 20 bucks it costs to replace it its stupid not to.

It costs about $75 for a cable here and is a nightmare to run it ... I'd love to know where your getting a cable for 10-20 bucks.

It costs about $75 for a cable here and is a nightmare to run it ... I'd love to know where your getting a cable for 10-20 bucks.

Is that from the stealership? Also does it include the assembly?

yep ... dealer charges alot and forget about getting it in a yard since every friggin one is busted the same way... the GP I just bought is in the same situation.

What did you end up doing for yours?