cleaned the egr still problem

92blackz34

ok so i took my egr and cleaned it and still has the problem making the light ses like come one. also when stopped or jsut idling my car will shut off but starts right back up. when i cleaned out the port where the egr sits the coat hanger only went in like 4-5 inches should it go in farther? it did not seem dirty in there so im guessing proably farther down what else works to clean it out?

Was the the valve itself or the solenoid? Mine is saying EGR- Solenoid when a scanner is hooked up. I need to get it cleaned or replaced.. The SES is making guest appearances on my dash a bit too often.

i get the same SES light come on for the EGR valve as well,and it has already been replaced once.$249.00...and it is still doing the same thing...if you find a solution let us all know.good luck

i get the same SES light come on for the EGR valve as well,and it has already been replaced once.$249.00...and it is still doing the same thing...if you find a solution let us all know.good luck

make sure you clean the port.

I know some egrs can be tested with a 9 volt battery. you might have burned out solenoids in the egr.

i am gonna pull the egr off again this weekend and try cleanning out the port.i think i heard somewhere that you could take that egr off completely and it won't harm you motor...anyone tryed this yet?i don't want to be the poor bastard to try it first,lol

EGR codes being thrown are very common on the 3.4. With OBD1 being vague like it is, you can get a egr dtc, but it doesnt mean its the egr. :evil: i had the same issues.

anyone ever try a rifle bore cleaning rod for this? long, flexible, with a cloth end! i think it just might work, and i know wally world has some cheap kits for rifle cleaning.

the egr can be removed, but you'll need to make a block-off plate and have the pcm reprogrammed. you will lose 1-2 mpg though.

i'll give the bore cleaner a try i have lots of them around the house.thanks for the tip.and as far as losing 1-2mpg...well can the 3.4 really get any worse gas mileage then it already does,lol

ok on a lumina z34 is there a place under the plnum to clean for the egr valve too? i seen where a few people talk about cleaning under there. when i took mine off i cleaned the port that is right under it that looks like a ribbed hose

From my experience, I had to remove my plenum and after several cans of brake kleen and carb cleaner, a long piece of steel wire and a lot of patients, I was able to clean the EGR port. I replaced a very expensive valve for nothing. Once that passage way was clean and unrestricted, no more MIL. Take the time and do it right, you'll be happyier, plus I noticed an improvement in my milage after I repaired this.

when you take the plenum off what do you clean under there? des anyone have a picture o waht to clean? so does teh port that is right under the egr the ribbed hose even need to be cleaned?

also when removing the plenum does it have to be torqued down or just tightened? and do i need a new gasket? the mechanic just had the plenum off like a month ago so doe it need replacing?