how to replace front strut bearings

briandors

I'm getting some noise while turning the steering wheel, and memory steer, can someone supply a tutorial on replacing the front strut bearing plates?

Thanks,

Brian

yah i don' know how either, but my cutty had these replaced today as a matter of fact, 100 bucks EACH cdn, and then they need to do an alignment aswell, + labor, so yah I'm down about 4-500 bucks! :evil: :evil: But I'd like to know how hard they are to do, to know how much i got screwed over...other than the alignment thing! if you try this tho, good LUCK!

k... here we go....

remove wheel/caliper/rotor

then pull the axle nut off..

remove ball joint and tie rod

remove upper strut mount bolts and the strut assembly will be in yur hand...

now.. U NEED a good spring compressor for this!! if U dont tak it in....!!! U will get hurt if U dont have a secure one..

compress the spring and remove the top strut bolt (24 mm)

the strut will drop out of the mount, then U simply pull off the bearing plate and put in a new one in its place. U have to compress and remove the strut cause the strut turns in the middle, not @ the top like most cars do...

reverse these instruction to put em back in... its pretty straight forward...

this is also a good time to do the ball joints, struts (since U can do em with a pip wrench rather thatn having to Use the tool) and the tie rods... that is if there all OEM...

there not that bad... just time consuming, and U NEED a spring compressor...

PM me if U have any questions..

later

joe

Thanks Joe,

Seems like a big job, and if you don't compress the spring right it could end up being deadly. I'll leave this one to a garage.

Brian

Thanks Joe,

Seems like a big job, and if you don't compress the spring right it could end up being deadly. I'll leave this one to a garage.

Brian

Do you have another car you can use while the other car is getting fixed?

If I were you, I'll try to tackle it myself and learn along the way. I got a 2 sets of spring compressor just in case. One important thing when dealing with removal of struts/springs is to mark their orientation with a white markter so they will be aligned back when you install them.

At first it was hard but then after a while it was pretty straight forward. Then again.. if you don't feel confident then it's better to have a shop do it for you.