I went to look at a vert today...thinkin of buyin it

Addicted2bass

Ive known about this vert for awhile, the guy has been wanting to sell it because he "has to many toys" but he hasnt actually put it up for sale because he really likes the car. Its been all wrapped up in car covers for the winter, today was a nice day so he uncovered it and i went and looked at it.

Its a 93 with the 3.1, 96k miles, teal with gray leather, the guy wants 2500, but i may be able to talk him down.

Heres the good: The car has never seen a winter and there is NO RUST not even on the underbody, this is very rare for a car in buffalo. The exterior is very clean except for a small dent on the hood and a little paint fading, the interior is pretty much perfect. The top is a little faded, the power top motor was rebuilt recently and works great.

Now for the not so good: The car currently starts and immediately stalls. If its revved up it will stay running, after a little bit of revving the car stayed running at idle. The guy said the fuel pressure was reading at 10psi, he suspects the fuel pump. There seems to be a small amount of coolant leaking from the top of the water pump, a bad gasket maybe. The rear window has come detached from the convertible top along the bottom. There was also some oil sitting in a little puddle to the right of the engine block, below the idle control, im not sure what the deal with that is.

Im just wondering what you guys think. The guy is gonna try and fix the fuel pressure problem (he works at a garage) and then i can take it for a test drive. This is one of only about 5 verts in my area and the only one ive seen for sale.

grab it, even at 2500 that sounds like a good deal. probably just needs to be cleaned up, some normal maintenance for sitting and stuff, and sounds like it'd run great

Yea its a beautiful car, and very unique around here. Im hoping to sell my GP and cover all or most of the cost of the vert. I kinda wanted one with the 3.4, but i know those can be a hassle and i need a reliable car. The car has sat every winter and has been regularly driven the rest of the year.

sounds slightly high. a 2000 offer sounds good.

it sounds like a good fuel pump, a tune-up, and a distributor drive Oring are needed.

I would buy and use it as a summer car... otherwise it won't last long in buffalo. plus verts do not make good winter cars!

hold out for one with the TDC

Seriously though, TDC or not the convertibles are slow either way. Pick it up, if your looking for speed then DONT pick it up.

Seriously though, TDC or not the convertibles are slow either way. Pick it up, if your looking for speed then DONT pick it up.

I wasn't trying to say that the TDC is a speed demon, I just can't see a 3.1 'vert being able to get out of it's own way...

I wasn't trying to say that the TDC is a speed demon, I just can't see a 3.1 'vert being able to get out of it's own way...

:lol: I had some guy from autozone last summer tell me he had one and continued to tell me how fast it was, even after he knew which engine I had, and it almost turned into an argument, but i just chuckled inside and left

A 3.1 'vert does just fine at getting out of its own way. Mine is actually quicker than '91 Lumina Euro Coupe I had though the 'vert has about 500 or so lbs. on the Lumina.

Don't knock one until you've actually driven one that runs... :roll:

I've driven/owed quite a few 3.1L powered cars/w-bodies that could barely get out of their own way, and they are quite a bit lighter then the 'verts are....the 3100 would be a slight improvement, but the 3.1L shouldn't be in anything larger then a j-body, IMHO

It will definatly be a summer only car, its never seen salt so why start now? Id like one with the DOHC motor, but havent seen any for sale around here. I know its not exactly a speed demon, but those 3.1s are bulletproof, ill just take style over speed i guess.

Yea im done buyin cars from up here that have been drivin in the winter. My GP is pretty damn rust free and the gas tank still rotted out on me. Im gonna try and sell my GP first, im gonna ask 2500 and hope for 2000.