Recieved a "Keyless entry"gift today.

Scottster

I was at a buddies house this afternoon, and got talking with his Dad. He was telling me that he had a GP SE just like mine but in red w/red wheels (woot!), bought brand new in 1989. We had a conversation about the cars, and then he went off to get something. When he came back, he had a brand new keyless entry fob, still sealed in the GM plastic bag! He insisted that I take it, as it was of no use to him anymore. He had bought the remote as a replacment, and never ended up using it.

I'm thankful for the gift, but had never considered adding keyless to my car. Now that I have this remote though-what the hell, why not.

The thing is, my car came with no remotes when I bought it, just keys. The car does have the grounding plug in the trunk with the antena. Does this mean the car has the system ready for use? I would just have to program the remote, and be on my way, or what?

That's pretty cool! An NOS keyless entry fob! I would try to figure out how you program them first, then try to do it. My dad's 03 didn't come with keyless fobs when we bought it, so he bought one and tried to program them and the car was programmed for Keyless.

So I'd try it, can't hurt!

No, keyhole lights will not illuminate. All it does is unlock/lock the doors and pop the trunk. nothing else. Pretty easy to program too, check the FAQ section.

Yeah all you do is ground that out, and hit a button on the fob, did this on my 96. The wird thing is, when I had my 94 parked at my grnadp's place, it also had the plug and for the hell of it, I parked my 96 far away, and tried to program the fo for the 94 also, just so I could pop the trunk unlock the doors without screwing with my keys. It didn't do anything, maybe you can't use it on 2 cars. When you ground it you'll hear the locks click, then hit a button on the fob, that's it.

Remember when I tried grounding that plug in the back in your trunk? Thats what you use to setup the signal. Yours didnt work unfortunly. Your gonna have re solder all those connections on the inside. I have 2 im trying to fix and sell, if your interested. :wink:

Remember when I tried grounding that plug in the back in your trunk? Thats what you use to setup the signal. Yours didnt work unfortunly. Your gonna have re solder all those connections on the inside. I have 2 im trying to fix and sell, if your interested. :wink:

Yeah, I remembered that, and I just figured I'd forget about it the whole RKE thing at that point. Now that I have the remote, I'll just take my module out, and re-solder it when i get some time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah all you do is ground that out' date=' and hit a button on the fob, did this on my 96. The wird thing is, when I had my 94 parked at my grnadp's place, it also had the plug and for the hell of it, I parked my 96 far away, and tried to program the fo for the 94 also, just so I could pop the trunk unlock the doors without screwing with my keys. It didn't do anything, maybe you can't use it on 2 cars. When you ground it you'll hear the locks click, then hit a button on the fob, that's it.

[/quote']

you can use it on 2 cars. I had my remotes programmed for my car and my wifes 95 when we had it so we each had a key fob that would unlock both cars with out having to have 2 fobs on each set oc keys. All i did was ground out the connector, waited for the locks to cycle and hold down the top 2 buttons and waited for the locks to cylcle again.

A little off topic here, but i just found out that older ford RKE fobs are apparently the same as the GM ones. My GF's 95 GA GT has a key fob from a mustang.

A little off topic here, but i just found out that older ford RKE fobs are apparently the same as the GM ones. My GF's 95 GA GT has a key fob from a mustang.

As long as it's this style it doesn't matter what car it's from. They're all the same. The trunk button must be on the bottom though.

You only need to press one button.

Each remote will control 2 cars.

Each car can have 2 remotes.

Mine has 3 that work....I thought the RKE box worked up to 4?

That's odd. Even the GM manual says 2 remotes per car.

As long as it's this style it doesn't matter what car it's from. They're all the same. The trunk button must be on the bottom though.

Its not one of those, its one of these I had no idea that a ford Key fob would work a GM.

Interesting, I didn't know about the limit of remotes per car thing. Regardless of how many can go on it. What happens if you have the max and try to program a new one in? I MIGHT be having this problem because I got a new remote (old one broke) and I can't program the new one to work, every time I try, nothing happens, up until now I just assumed I got a bad remote (found it in a glove box at the wreckers, put new batteries in it)

Jamie