Dash teardown progress

w-bodys_are_the_best

I got more of my dash out. This is as far as I got last night.

DSC02190.jpg

It looks like these all are the bolts I need to remove, am I missing any? couldn't see any under the dash. Is it easier to unbolt the column and let it hang?

bolts3.jpg

bolts2.jpg

bolts1.jpg

On the last pic there is one behind the trim. It looks like that light metal is all attatched to the dash. Anything I am missing, please let me know, I will continue tomorrow after work probably. These 95+ CS dashes are a bit more complex than the 94 and under models, I tore my 94 dash apart quite a few times.

amateur!

you are on the right path.

you can remove the 4 bolts from the column and let it hang.

keep searching for 7mm bolts. there are many. there is even two 10 or 13mm botls that go through the brake/columna support assembly into the dash reinforcement bar fromt he underside.

also do not forget to remove the nusta and bolts through the acces hole and behind the fues box at each side of the dash.

and don't pull to hard so as not to break anything.

I'm tearing it down because there a mouse in there somewhere, my luck he's probably out of the car now. The more I get into this, I'm really thinking about just taking the 5-speed parts out of my 91 International and saying the hell with fixing it. The 91 isn't in bad shape but needs an LQ1. I'm actually going to make a write-up for 95+ dash removal as I had no luck finding one. I've been taking pictures of everything along the way. It's a little more complicated than I thought, so that's why I'm thinking of just tearing out the firewall plate deal, and starting the swap. I have everything to do it except a cherrypicker, and I can track one down to borrow pretty easily. If I do start the swap, I'll be taking plenty of pictures along the way. I don't want to part out the 91, but right now I have 2 cutlass's sitting, and would like one good one. I will still need to buy a slave cylinder, might as well get a new clutch, and possibly cables, they are really hard to move, I think they're rusted. This would be the cheapest route for me to go, and otherwise, both cars will probably just sit around and start going to crap. I live in a rural IA area, I only have 3 channels on my tv, I get really bored after work :lol: I could do this over the next few weeks/month or so. I also don't have much money at all to throw around, so if I part out the 91, I can get money for parts for the swap. I also still have a lot of parts from the 94 I used to have that I have been too lazy to list on here. Also I'm going to keep the 3100 for now, but I'd like to get either an L67, or a 3400/turbo and build that up for my winter project, and store the car so it doesn't rust. For right now I'm just catching a mouse :lol: but more than likely I'm just going to start the 284 swap.

whats the link to your for sale thread of the white one? given a bit of money this summer I'd be interested. Heck, if you ever decide just to junk it or whatever, dibs on the kit! :lol:

I was trying to sell the 91 as-is with the knocking motor for $650. Now my mind is really set on making the 96 a 5-speed. I'd still kinda like to sell the 91, but it would be too hard to get my hands on more w-body 5speed parts. It would work out awesome if somone had an older GP or CS with a 3.1 and 282 to trade for the 91. Then I'd get my 96 5-spd and 1 of 109 3.4/284 CS's would still be around. It has maroon leather AQ9's and rear buckets in great shape, the front driver's AQ9 is ripped, but they work great. It also has HUD that worked for the last owner. The HUD needs to be worked on, just never have because the car isn't drivable so there's no point in wasting time on it unless I find an LQ1. Matt (fathead45) had a motor for me, that didn't work out on my end cause of a very bad few weeks (financially) that I'm still digging out of.

Here are some pics I took when I first bought it last July I think, and some from this winter:

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/zkelleybucket/International/?start=all

Here are some pics I took about 2 weeks ago, I thought the rust was bad, but after climbing around under it, it's actually in alot better shape than I thought. I know it's never been in an accident because every panel on the car has the "Genuine GM Part" sticker with the VIN on it:

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/zkelleybucket/Rustypics/?start=all

Not yet, I'm going out to change the oil in my van tonight, I'll take the camera and see if I can find it. I've been too busy this weekend.

shit i gave up on tearing mine down that far. Although i have to get to the solenoid or relay for the rear defroster, Anyone know how to get that off of my 94 cutty, when i turn on the rear defoster is makes a humming noise and acts funny. Sorry to HIJACK

I worked on it a little bit today. I didn't get a whole lot done. I dropped the coulumn, and took out all the obvious bolts I could find. I think that the only thing holding the dash on still is the cage that the column bolts to, it kinda looks like it's made of pot-metal. It is definatley solid and the rest feels like it is movable. May be some more bolts behind there, or underneath the center of the dash. I'm definately hitting this again tomorrow, after I got the oil changed in the van, I only had an hour or so to screw around with this before it got dark tonight. I think before I work on it any more, I am going to get all of the parts out if the back seat, everything is still in the car piled in the back. I am also going to clean and vacuum the interior and remove the driver's seat. The passenger seat is already unbolted, I just set it back in there because I was too lazy to cary it into the house :lol:

4-23-07009.jpg

4-23-07012.jpg

Finally I got it out. It was alot worse than the 94 and under dashes, but not real bad, all together I'd say I spent 3 days working on it. My biggest problem was not knowing where everything is and what has to come out to get the dash off, that is why I will be making a write-up so that anyone else who wants to try this will have less trouble. I got everything out as far as I can, now sometime soon I will be tearing out the master cylinder & brake booster to get to the firewall plate. I'm thinking I should probably tear apart the 91 International first, don't really want to leave that plate off and have a gaping hole in the firewall while I tear apart the other car. Here is what it looks like now:

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

FUCKING FOUND IT! could NOT have done it without this pic i took weeks ago when my dash was out. Be careful to not knock this loose before you put the dash back together. getting it in there once its back together sucks. add that in ur writeup :biggrin:

2006106355658628641_rs.jpg

Nice man. Ken and I pulled the dash on my 95 convertible back in december and it was crazy. We started at like midnight just for something to do and had it on the ground by 1:30am. I am definately not lookin forward to reinstalling it!

see ya,

Sean