Is it possible...

gmrulz4u

...to replace JUST the windshield moldings/stripping without doing any damage to, or having to replace the windshield itself?

Here's my annoyance:

My car was just completely re-painted, and looks SO awsome! BUT, the stupid black areas around the windshield are all faded, scratched, chipped, and just generally look like shit. The worst is the large bottom peice that the wiper blades rest against when not in use. It has a lot of portions that have missing black paint.

So besides the moldings, I am wondering how that large bottom peice can be removed? It doesn't look TOO difficult, but I don't want to do any damage to my windshield, which was replaced with a brand-new one about 2 years ago.

The IDIOTS that replaced the windshield a couple years ago decided I didn't need to spend money on NEW moldings, and without asking me, just used my old shit. And then they tried to make it sound like I should thank them for saving me the money!? Whatever...

So anyone with any help or suggestions?

THANKS!:)

So besides the moldings, I am wondering how that large bottom peice can be removed? It doesn't look TOO difficult, but I don't want to do any damage to my windshield, which was replaced with a brand-new one about 2 years ago.

Across the bottom of the windsheild correct?

I'm pulled that off myself and repainted it (since it'a thin metal) with "trim black" paint.

It turned out really well, but you do have to be gentle pulling it out.

You may have to update some silicon as well, during the removal / install.

- Erik

On my car, that black trim piece actually came off pretty easy. The little plastic retainers with the screw indentions got boogered up (and I imagine they would, being that they're such soft plastic) so I'd recommend getting some new ones. The rest is held on by either Philips screws (older cars) or 7mm hex screws (newer cars). Oh yeah, you have to remove your wipers first. That's easy too, you lift up wiper arm and then stick a small screwdriver through a special access hole and let the wiper arm spring back into place. With the screwdriver through the hole, the arms come right off.

I've been wanting to get the metal trim piece repainted gloss black.

You can buy the vinyl molding separately from GM.

I am planning on doing this soon, what paint should i use to paint the trim piece i am thinking a black base coat with some clear coat to make it shine, i am also planning on putting some rubber strips so the wipers won't wear away the paint.

Should i go with spray paint, cause i can never get the stuff to be as shinny as a new paint job?

how can i get it to look like the new trim pieces on newer cars????