Update on the GTP (Finally got it back)

stevegasm

For those who hang around w-body chat, you know I've been whining about my car. The rest of you, join the chat room more often! :lol:

Here's a little background on the whole thing:

Beginning of April, I got the GTP back from the dealer after they fixed the CV boot, replaced the oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, and LIM gasket (warranty ftw). A few days after I began hearing a small ticking noise. I didn't think anything of it, I figured it was just good ol' GM parts rattling. Easter weekend, on the way home from an Easter family gathering or something, I raced this turbo Subaru Legacy GT thing, (and smoked him BTW :burnout: ) Shortly after I hear a rather loud knocking which sounds like a stuck lifter. I get home and this is what it sounds like:

http://stevegasm.com/movies/GTP/broken_gtp.wmv

Monday (4/9) I take it back to the dealer, the next day they tell me it's a spun bearing. They also need to call the warranty company out to see if they'll fix it. 24-48 hours later, the warranty company says they will pay for a rebuilt engine, or basically an engine out of a salvaged GTP with roughly 40k miles, (or so they say :rolleyes:) They said it would be shipped to them by Thursday (4/19), and I should have it back on Friday.

Now what doesn't make sense to me is, how can an engine with 55k miles on it spin a bearing, when its owner probably has the worst case of OCD. I'm always making sure it's up to date on maintenance. I don't abuse it. Yes I've taken it to the track a couple times, but who hasn't taken their car? The mods I have are minimal compared to other GTPs with 100k+ miles. And now with this "new" engine I'm getting, who knows what's going to stay on there and what isn't. I will call them and make sure that they keep my supercharger and plug wires though. :confused: I know I said I wanted to before and decided not to, but after this ordeal I'll probably put the GTP up for sale.

So what am I driving whilst I await an engine? This isn't the section for that, so go here:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,56384.new.html

Update! (4/20):

Finally picked up the GTP from the dealer today. Everything looks good. Fortunately I found out that it would be illegal to give me an engine that had more miles on it. Also, the engine they gave me didn't come with a supercharger, so they used my supercharger, along with my pulley :biggrin: I have to give the dealer guy credit though, he said "I'm surprised the warranty company didn't notice that pulley." I go "What pulley?". He's like "Aw, come on. When you work on these engines all day, you'd notice something like that." :lol: It a little more responsive. Like it doesn't sit in the gear it's in when I accelerate, it almost immediately downshifts instead. It could be because I've been driving a 4cyl for 2 weeks, but it still seems a lot stronger than before.

So we'll see how long it lasts... :willynilly:

I know how you feel. You sit and take care of this motor, it breaks, and now they are going to put some other motor in that could have been abused and went 6k miles without oil changes. too bad they can't rebuild yours or something.

I've asked them if they could just rebuild mine, but they gave me the "we can't guarantee that you won't be bringing it back here next year". And yet they can just take an engine out of some random car and stick it in mine.

that has got to suck

why cant they just fix the motor that you have cuz you dont know what your getting this motor your getting could be worse then what you got

BTW you beat that car with a spun bearing good job :wink:

i wonder if it has anything to do with when they replaced the oil pan gasket. Left some garbage in the pan? hit something? i don't really know how are car spins a bearing or what cause is.

i wonder if it has anything to do with when they replaced the oil pan gasket. Left some garbage in the pan? hit something? i don't really know how are car spins a bearing or what cause is.

i would think the LIM gasket change could have more to do with it than the oil pan...im curious as to how much coolant may have gotten into the bottom end of that engine, and maybe it didnt all get drained out!?...its also kinda odd that when john (john99GTP) spun his bearing, it was just days after having the oil changed @ a dealer, then the same happens to steve...thats just odd...

Holy crap man. Thats kinda....stupid if you ask me!

I don't understand why they wouldn't just rebuild yours. Seems like it would be more soild than getting some used one from a J/Y.

Swapping the engine is probably easier and quicker for them than removing yours and rebuilding it. What are your mods?

Most likely, but I don't see why they couldn't just give me a new engine instead of one that was probably abused.

Engine mods are (pasted from COTM since i'm lazy :lol:):

K&N Cold Air Intake

DHP 1.0 PCM

3.4" Pulley

ZZP 3" Downpipe

Magnaflow High-flow cat

U-bend Delete

MSD Superconductor Wires

NGK TR6 Spark Plugs

I've asked them if they could just rebuild mine, but they gave me the "we can't guarantee that you won't be bringing it back here next year". And yet they can just take an engine out of some random car and stick it in mine.

Damn that upside down pic of that GP keeps on making me go crazy, i keep tinking my computers screwed up lol

Swapping the engine is probably easier and quicker for them than removing yours and rebuilding it. What are your mods?

Most likely, but I don't see why they couldn't just give me a new engine instead of one that was probably abused.

why? because its cheaper for the dealer to install a used engine that a brand new one. The bottom line is about money and the dealer is going to loose as little as possible over this. Thats why your getting a used one.

why? because its cheaper for the dealer to install a used engine that a brand new one. The bottom line is about money and the dealer is going to loose as little as possible over this. Thats why your getting a used one.

it has nothign to do with the dealer actually, he bought a warranty through one of those warranty companies...the only thing the dealer is doing, is the work...they arent losing anything...

on a side note, from what i've seen, most of the time when someone rebuilds a L67 they don't hold up as well as they did from the factory, so it might be good that you're just getting a used engine...

it has nothign to do with the dealer actually, he bought a warranty through one of those warranty companies...the only thing the dealer is doing, is the work...they arent losing anything...

on a side note, from what i've seen, most of the time when someone rebuilds a L67 they don't hold up as well as they did from the factory, so it might be good that you're just getting a used engine...

Yeah, the dealer is getting reimbursed from the warranty company. It's the warranty company that is giving me a used engine. At this point, I don't care what they do as long as it's fixed. :evil:

i woulden't worry about a used engine, friend of mine hasa GTP that he tossed a bearing in at around 115k had it rebuilt, and built the hell up. after it failed, due to a cloged radiator overheating it. we put a new radiator in, and put in a used engine we got from a local yard, supposedly from a 98' SSEI, with 30k on it. its been about 1.5 years and 30k later and it is still going strong.

if you are afraid of getting high mileage junk, ask, nay demand to see the car it came out of or at least a copy of the title that states the mileage.