My audio project using Tang Band 6x9 subs

LukeZ34

Call me strange, but for some reason, I've always wanted to try out some of Tang Band's 6x9 subwoofers. Most of us know, that with just standard 6x9 speakers alone, they can create some decent bass, but never anywhere near what adding a subwoofer can provide. So I began a project to see if I could get good bass out of Tang Band's subs. See specs here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

I was originally going to go for a completely stock appearance, and utilizing the factory headunit. However, that plan failed, so I decided to put in the JVC headunit I had aquired in the sale of the car, as well as installing an old Hi Fonics Eagle amplifier that I've had forever. 2 channels run the front speakers, the rear channels are bridged for the subs, which are wired in parallel (4 ohm load)

Now for the pictures..

One of the TB subs sitting next to my Infinity References:

tb1.jpg

Size comparison.. the TB subs are HUGE. I am not kidding in the least bit when I say that. In fact, the magnet would not fit through the sheet metal cutout in the rear deck without putting them in at an angle first.

tb2.jpg

Shows the size of the voice coil (1.5")

tb4.jpg

Magnet comparison

tb5.jpg

Damn near the size of a CD!

tb7.jpg

tb8.jpg

Here's one in the factory speaker baffle. The TB speakers have a different mounting size than standard 6x9 speakers do. So to accommodate for this, I just drilled new holes in to the baffles.

tb11.jpg

tb12.jpg

tb13.jpg

Mounted to the baffle, showing how deep these things are.

tb14.jpg

Mounted in to the car. I couldn't get the factory screws to line up, so I just drilled my own. I think it had something to do with the size of the magnet, and the size of the cutout in the deck. :biggrin: It was important to have these as tight as possible to the deck to prevent rattles. They eventually got 2 more screws put in to them to tighten them up around the top.

tb16.jpg

Both speakers mounted and ready to go

tb18.jpg

JVC headunit, and MAPtech enterprises HU mount.

tb19.jpg

Overall, the TB subs sound really good. But they take a fair amount of tweaking to get them to sound right though, but what can you expect for running them free-air. They don't really like the low 808 freqencies that you hear in most rap songs, but kick drums sound really good through them. I have them x-over'd at 80 hz, and the gain is throttled back on the amp, but they will still pound pretty good. The underside of the trunk and some of the body cladding was rattling pretty good that night.

But, while I think they sound good, my ears need just a little bit more volume and versatility. So I picked up a Dayton Audio DVC series 12" sub from parts express last week to install. Should be here early this week, so the TB subs are probably going to come out and probably be sold (intrested? contact me). I'm not disappointed in any way with these speakers. Their build quality is superb, and the rubber surround really allows them to excurde to the 7mm that they are rated for.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I had been experimenting with the past month or so. I'll post pictures of the new sub and the amp that's going with it when I get them installed.

7mm? damn. that sucks, shoulda got the 6.5s from tang band. they got like 11.5 mm of x-max.

would be kind of cool to experiment with though if you could build 1 cubic foot pods there which you cant.

most I could get back there was like 2 liters a side so I most likely go with 5 1/4 subs.