swc question

pwmin

could someone show me the contact ring for the steering wheel controls? i cant find anything here and im not sure where it is. only half of them work and im trying to figure out why? any other suggestions?

OH! well that makes it.... confusing.

so I assume this is a 91 GP? ans when you say only half of them work, PLEASE list by function which ones do, and which ones don't work. I assume this is SWRC type that fills the center of the steering wheel, correct?

I believe it is not a contact ring issue, but rather more likely a bad solder joint.

yeah, its the big one in the middle of the steering wheel. the tune, am/fm, mute, and vol were working (the top buttons), but the scan, seek, bal, fade, and preset werent working iirc.

confusing? it says in my sig that my old car was a 96 and my new one is a 91.

yeah, its the big one in the middle of the steering wheel. the tune, am/fm, mute, and vol were working (the top buttons), but the scan, seek, bal, fade, and preset werent working iirc.

confusing? it says in my sig that my old car was a 96 and my new one is a 91.

confusing with regard to the functions.

let me muddle over this. I have a thought...

i know for certain that all the other SWRC units have a resistor sequence were each switch runs power through an increasing number of resistors as it goes down the chain, but the pontiac one is the one I am unfamiliar with.

I think these should be in one sequence, it might be a cold solder joint that prevents all the switch function past that point from operating.

I need to get one to disect, and I saw two in a yard today :(

have you opneing the switch up?

i opened it up a little but stopped because i didnt want to tear it apart if it wasnt the problem. i can do that and take some pictures if that would help. i was told it could be the contact ring, but it makes sense that its something in the controls since some of them work

i opened it up a little but stopped because i didnt want to tear it apart if it wasnt the problem. i can do that and take some pictures if that would help. i was told it could be the contact ring, but it makes sense that its something in the controls since some of them work

i think.... i will be able to grab the swrc on monday, and give a definite answer

I picked up one at a yard. I haven't opened it up yet, but I do see it has more pins that I thought. it is definitly a different design with more wires than the other types.