94-96 3100 Aux. Battery Post

runt

So how are these things held on? Are they attached to the fuse panel that is located near by?

I haven't seen under a hood of a 3100 in a few years, but my G/F's sister has a '95 GP w/ 3100, and for whatever reason they have been having trouble with it. They have been putting some parts to it and it's getting better, but the AUX post keeps coming un-screwed. (Thinking the Alternator was going bad, which screwed the battery)

From what her father says, it IS attached to the fuse box...but...where there any that were NOT part of that and just hooked onto the fender or some other hardware? I personally, don't have time to mess around with the car as the G/F's sister is due (having a baby) in a few days and appointments 'n all that jazz.

He's thinking he is going to need a new fuse box with an intact Aux post. I guess the stud is totally screwed and the plastic is very brittle.

Any thoughts? I'm sure he can get something from a J/Y, but if there is a better year/style I'd recommend that to him or come up with a better solution.

IIRC, it is like he said, attached to the fuse box. The fuse box itself kinda has these little caps that screw onto the fender in the engine bay. I can't quite remember if there is a plug that you can unplug to completely remove the fuse panel, but I'm pretty sure not, that each wire is pinned into the fuse box.

You could always figure out the stud's thread, then get a nylon locking nut instead of the standard one. It would probably withstand the vibration much better.

until mid 95 the cars had thin brass "washer nuts", which somtimes wore out and came unthreaded. the best upgrade it finding a nut with the same threads.... off of any 95.5 and up car, whihc is a real nuts and not a "washer nut"

the cable runs direct from the battery hot, and provides the link between most of the power used by everything, except the main starter and alt wires(aka big 3 upgrade wires)

Ok. Both good things to know. I had a feeling that they all were attached to that fuse box. I kept having strange dreams about 3100's last night (alright...so I had to tear one down and replace Intake Gaskets on it...so?!) And I kept seeing that fuse box. I think he's just gonna pull one from a yard car, but even if I told him 95.5+ he would get just whatever they have. Hopefully something unbroken.

If the stud is still holding on there, why not just screw down the nut, and then put another one on the stud and screw it down against the other nut...should hold it in place - that is if the stud and the post are still intact...sounds like it is, but brittle?

If the stud is still holding on there, why not just screw down the nut, and then put another one on the stud and screw it down against the other nut...should hold it in place - that is if the stud and the post are still intact...sounds like it is, but brittle?

Yes.